Products in this Bundle (4)
This completely done-for-you writing curriculum includes a year's worth of first-grade writing lessons and activities for teaching opinion writing, informational writing, personal narrative writing, and beginning-of-the-year writing skills in first grade.
With this resource, we literally take your hand and walk you through, step-by-step, teaching writing every day of the year. Teaching writing will become the easiest, and most joyful, part of your day.
This yearlong writing curriculum includes 160 digital step-by-step lesson plans, all the blackline masters you'll need, colorful posters, experiences for students to write about, ebooks, and daily step-by-step directions to make your teacher life as stress-free as possible.
We are talking NO PREP for opinion, informative, and beginning of the year writing units and minimal prep for personal narrative writing. Each unit will take no more than 5 minutes of planning each day! It's true!
This Common Core Standards Aligned resource sets ALL learners up to become confident, successful writers. It's written in an organized, systematic format that helps students gradually learn how to write interesting sentences, opinion papers, informative papers, and personal narratives. You will LOVE how easy it is to implement.
A unique feature of this writing curriculum is that it includes eBooks and common experiences for background building so all students have something to write about. We are thrilled to say, ALL the resources you need are included in this unit (except for a few supplies needed for the personal narrative unit)!
Grab this Virtually No Prep, Stress-Free, and Effective DIGITAL first grade yearlong writing curriculum TODAY!
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN THIS RESOURCE?
– No need to search for your lesson plans or spend an enormous amount of time reading them each day. We have them right on the slides - making your teaching life stress-free.
Digital Lessons Include:
· “I Will” Statements – To keep students laser-focused on the objective of the day. We use “I will” statements instead of “I can” statements as they hold the students more accountable
· Writing Chats – To introduce topics and build background information and vocabulary
· Watch Me Slides – For the teacher to show the objective through thinking aloud and modeling. This is oftentimes interactive to keep student engagement high.
· Our Turn Slides – For students to practice the new skill with you.
· Your Turn Slides – For students to independently practice the skill learned.
– After each writing skill has been explicitly taught and practiced, students are held responsible for their learning by engaging in a writing assignment aligned to the day's learning target. Extra generic, printable pages are included in the Opinion, Informative, and Personal Narrative units to offer you quick and easy resources to differentiate assignments for your students.
– Great for formative assessment! As you walk around and observe students, record your findings. These easy to use checklists help you remember who is meeting targeted standards and who needs extra help. These checklists are helpful tools to refer to when planning for parent-teacher conferences.
– Each unit includes a writing rubric that is perfect for grading and discussing goals and progress with students and parents.
- Each unit contains a set of posters to display in your classroom for students to refer to. There is a total of 58 posters.
HERE IS A GLIMPSE OF THE FOCUS FOR EACH UNIT:
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 1 – Draw detailed pictures using shapes & lines
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 2 – Label pictures using best guess spelling
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 3 – Write complete sentences
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 4 – Write complete sentences & lists
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 5 – Write stronger sentences
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 6 – Write more than one sentence on a topic
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 7 – Write more than one sentence to answer a question
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 8 – Respond to questions to strengthen writing
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 1 – Identify and write facts and opinions
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 2 – Write factual sentences
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 3 – Write a topic sentence and factual sentences
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 4 – Closing sentences, note-taking, informative writing
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 5 – Write an informative paper
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 6 – Write an informative paper
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 7 – Write an informative paper
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 8 – Write an informative paper
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 1 – Distinguish fact from opinion
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 2 – Write an opinion statement and reasons for it
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 3 – Use opinion sentence starters
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 4 – Write an opinion paper with a closing sentence
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 5 – Practice opinion writing independently (linking words)
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 6 – Practice opinion writing independently
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 7 – Practice opinion writing independently
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 8 – Practice opinion writing independently
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 1 – Exposure to features of a personal narrative (what a personal narrative is; beginning/middle/end; temporal words; closure)
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 2 – Together, make a story plan for a class personal narrative (Quick Sketch)
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 3 – Together, make and use a story plan to write a class personal narrative (lesson on adding details)
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 4 – After teacher modeling, write a personal narrative with details (specific actions character does, feelings, adjectives)
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 5 – Make a story plan and write a personal narrative
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 6 – Make a story plan and write a personal narrative
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 7 – Make a story plan and write a personal narrative
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 8 – Make a story plan and write a personal narrative
WHY EXPLICIT INSTRUCTION FOR WRITING?
It’s simple… IT WORKS!
Explicit instruction (also called direct instruction) works for all writers…not just the stronger ones. It’s a strategy that allows teachers to scaffold learning by giving structured, sequenced lessons targeting specific skills or standards. It’s teacher-led with a gradual release of responsibility to students. This method truly allows all students to succeed.
If you are thinking, that doesn’t sound like Writer’s Workshop, you’re right. It’s not. Years ago, we implemented Writer’s Workshop in our classrooms, but it didn’t work for us… or our students.
The biggest problem was that it was very difficult to manage and keep students on track. It was also a planning nightmare trying to find mini-lessons to match our students’ diverse needs. And to make matters worse, when we gave mini-lessons students didn’t necessarily practice the targeted skill because they were at a different stage of the writing process.
We were disappointed, frustrated and knew we had to do something different.
We decided to put structure and intentionality into our teaching. We clearly state what students will be working on, give thoughtful instruction through modeling and discussion, and provide time to practice as we observe and guide. It is so simple to manage and gives students the support they need. The result? Student writing like we’ve never seen. This method truly works!
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF USING THIS WRITING RESOURCE?
· The entry point for each writing unit is assessable to all learners.
· Lessons are carefully and thoughtfully scaffolded, ensuring success for all.
· The Watch Me, Our Turn, Your Turn format sets your first-grade writers up for success.
· Your students will be highly engaged and motivated to write.
· Experiences and background information is brought students to ensure ALL students have something to write about.
· At thecompletion of these units, your students will be confident, successful writers of opinion, informative, and personal narrative papers.
WHO IS THE RESOURCE FOR?
· First-grade teachers looking for a strong, yet easy to implement, writing curriculum that is aligned to the Common Core State Standards and fun for kids.
· Special Education Teachers who need to teach students the basics of beginning sentences, opinion writing, informative writing, and personal narrative writing using a direct instruction approach.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Is this resource aligned to the Common Core State Standards?
Yes! We built this whole resource around the Common Core State Standards for first grade.
Do students complete a writing assignment each day?
Yes, students engage in a writing activity each day. The assignments are highly engaging and help hold students accountable for their learning.
Does this follow a Writers’ Workshop model?
No. Writers’ Workshop worked great for us in second grade, but not so much in first. Students are explicitly taught a writing skill each day, then they practice the skill taught.
Can this be used with Google Slides?
Technically, yes. Because the digital lessons are made in PowerPoint, they can easily be converted to Google Slides and lesson slides can be pushed out to students. However, we don't feel this is the best way to utilize this resource. (See next section for further clarification.) Also, the individual student pages are not compatible with Google.
How can I use this resource for Distance Learning?
If you are engaging in Distance Learning, we highly recommend creating videos for your students using something like ScreenCastify or use an online meeting format such as Zoom. The lessons need to be taught prior to students engaging in the writing activities. In regard to the student writing pages, just print out the unit and give to parents. If you are unable to do so, almost all activities can be done in a notebook on plain paper.
What other teachers are saying:
- OH MY GOODNESS...this product was exactly what I have been looking for and wanting. I moved from 3rd grade to 1st last year and really struggled with the workshop-type approach to writing. I was used to students having to learn how to respond to text and write to a prompt because of state testing. I truly did try to embrace the workshop model. I just didn't feel that my students were really getting anywhere. They needed more explicit instruction and some guidance on what to write about. I kept thinking all year long that I just needed to create something myself but never found the time to actually do it. THIS IS IT! Everything is right there for you, the teaching points, examples, passages, student writing pages, and it doesn't expect you to do an entire hour of writing, like some other program models. I am loving this product. Honestly, it is one of the best purchases I have made on TPT. - Lesley
- Oh.MY.GOSH! I can't tell you how much this has improved my instruction and how much the students are completely engaged and GROWING! This unit is THE BEST scaffolded writing unit I have experienced. My instruction has gone from a hodgepodge of Caulkins + supplements + modifications + feeling so ineffective to clear, measurable progress for myself and my students. Thanks so much for saving my writing instruction! -Tamberly
- If I could reach through the computer and hug you both I would! I create all of my resources that I use in my room. Writing is the only component I'm missing and I don't have the time to create it. Thank goodness! This is soooo AMAZING and I would have missed out! You have thought of everything and my students are loving it. I feel like it is just the right amount each day, and I love all of the reviewing and scaffolding that is included. My lesson plans are done for the year and I can't thank you enough. I will be recommending this resource to anyone that will listen to me. Great work! P.S. RAISE the PRICE. I would have paid triple what you are asking for this product. HANDS DOWN...my favorite TpT purchase. -First Grade Roars
- This is a wonderful resource that provides students with direct instruction in writing. These lessons incorporate movement which make them very engaging and also appropriate scaffolds are available for student success. Thank you! -happy first grade teacher
- This was very easy to implement and students felt very successful with the direct instruction provided and scaffolds. Thank you! -happy first grade teacher
- This is an amazing resource that will help my students learn critical writing skills right from the start. I love how easy it is to use and the consistent layout will help students focus on the lesson and skills being taught. Excited to use this!! -Brianne