1. Divide the class as closely as possible into 4 equal teams.
2. Each team will have one player taking turns being the Flower-Swatter.
Have them stand as close together as they can at the game table and
facing the screen.
3. Use a reading passage with multiple choice questions.
In order for the game portion to work more smoothly without a lot of extra
waiting time, it will be best to have all of the students read the entire passage
beforehand. Underlining important facts, details, and information as well
as labeling the main ideas of each paragraph along the way will also help
when it comes to answering questions.
If possible give each team one copy of the passage only. You will have
the only copy of the answer choices to keep students from seeing the letter
choices in advance of their turn. (They will see them on the screen.)
4. All odd numbered questions have letter choices A, B, C, & D.
5. All even numbered questions have letter choices F, G, H, & J.
6. Read each question one at a time on the screen, and make
sure that the players from all four teams can see it or their copy clearly.
7. Allow the four players to softly or silently read each letter choice.
8. Once a player refers to the passage and thinks he know which letter is
correct, he will place the Flower-Swatter on top and center of that letter.
9. If more than one player chooses the same letter AND they are correct,
the team who chose 1st gets 4 points, the team who chose it 2nd gets
three points, the team who chose it 3rd gets two points....etc.
10. If anyone chooses the wrong answer, that many points are taken away
from his or her team instead of added! (again from 4 to 1)
(Don’t just choose a letter because someone else did!)
11. Because of the possibility of losing points, choosing the correct answer
is actually more important than choosing it first!
12. Anyone who is not at the game table is not allowed to talk or shout out
any answers. Doing that causes their team to lose 5 points each time.
13. To make sure ALL STUDENTS are paying attention, the correct answers
should be written by everyone on regular lined notebook as you go!
14. The team with the most points at the end is declared the winner and
will get a team prize determined by the teacher.
VERY IMPORTANT EXTENDING BEYOND THE QUESTIONS ACTIVITY:
15. Use letters E and I to ask teacher directed high order/critical thinking bonus
questions about the selection/passage that requires your students to read
between the lines and go beyond basic understanding/comprehension.