Thank you for your interest in this product!
This product was designed for use as a Math center. It lends itself well to independent small group work, as it requires little to no teacher instruction.
Two activities in one!
Activity 1: Students must sort all 40 task cards by determining if the given fraction is in lowest terms or not. There are 20 of each. Fractions in lowest terms have denominators from 3-19.
Activity 2: Once the cards are sorted into the two piles, students must match equivalent fractions, thus making 20 pairs.
This resource becomes a simple diagnostic tool to assess if your students understand the concept of lowest terms, and the concept of simplifying fractions. Because of the values of the fractions, it requires students to demonstrate the use of factors in order to reduce the fractions – very few can be reduced by sight only - division skills are required.
Included in this download:
- 40 task cards with bright coloured backgrounds
- 40 task cards in black and white (the same fractions as the coloured version)
- card sort title cards (LOWEST TERMS/NOT LOWEST TERMS) – activity 1
- recording sheet for equivalent fractions – activity 2 (not required to identify GCF)
- recording sheet for equivalent fractions – activity 2 (identify GCF)