Fractions Math Talk is a great way to support students in developing their Conceptual Understanding of Fractions, a major domain in the Common Core Standards in Mathematics for Grades 3 to 5.
It's a great way to start math time each day. Project a Fractions Math Talk slide and give students time to put down their thinking in their math journals before whole group discussion. You can also use these at math centers.
This FRACTIONS MATH BUNDLE includes 3 PACKS of BIG IDEAS (you save more with purchase of the bundle).
PACK 1 BIG IDEAS
1) Understand a Fraction as partitioning a whole (or a group) into equal parts.
2) Identical wholes need not have the same shape.
3) When comparing fractions, the same whole has to be referenced.
4) Decomposing a whole into more equal shares creates smaller shares.
5) Two fractions are equivalent if they are the same size.
6) Understand a fraction as a number on a number line.
PACK 2 BIG IDEAS:
1) Understand a fraction as a number on a number line.
2) Compare fractions by reasoning about their size.
3) Understand a fraction can be decomposed into a sum of fractions with the same denominator (3/8 = 2/8 + 1/8).
4) Add or subtract fractions with unlike denominators.
PACK 3 BIG IDEAS:
1) Understand a fraction as a multiple of the unit fractions with the same denominator (e.g. 3/8 = 3 x 1/8).
2) Apply and extend previous understandings of multiplication to multiply a fraction by a fraction.
3) Apply and extend previous understandings of division to divide a whole by a fraction.
4) Apply and extend previous understandings of division to divide a fraction by a fraction