Wake your students up with math brain teasers! This set of 24 fractions and measurement word problems will have your students scratch their heads and rack their brains trying to solve them.
Common Core and the end-of-the-year testing require students to be able to solve multi-step word problems, which takes a higher-order thinking. To facilitate the problem-solving skill in my students, I do a lot of brain teasers in my class. However, I have a hard time finding CHALLENGING word problems, so I started making my own.
This set consists of 24 word problems that require students to apply their knowledge of FRACTIONS and UNITS OF MEASUREMENT.
In fact, I made a point of thinking of problems that involve several math skills at the same time. For instance, in one of the problems students have to know how to convert meters into feet as well as how to count the area of the rectangle.
These word problems are difficult enough to stimulate your students' mental powers, but they are still doable for an average Joe, and not just class math geniuses.
I also included reference sheets to help the students with unit converting.
How should you use task cards, you may ask....This is how I incorporated these task cards in my class:
1. I had my students team up in groups of three or four.
2. Each team picked a name for themselves (They had fun picking names such as "The Winners", "Minecraft Nerds" etc.)
3. I wrote down the names of the teams on the board.
4. I put one task card at a time on the document camera. I read the problem aloud. Then, I would give the students a few minutes to figure out the problem. The team that solved the problem would raise their hands. I checked their answers. If they were correct, the team would score a point and one tally mark next to their name on the board.
5. The team that scored most points won the game and NO HOMEWORK pass.
6. We do this friendly competition every Friday.
PLEASE, CHECK THE PREVIEW TO ASSESS IF THE LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY IS APPROPRIATE FOR YOUR STUDENTS.
Thank you for looking!
Don't forget to visit my store:Mrs. Baginska