Also included in
- 24 Critical Thinking lessons. Explore fake news, point of view, bias, social media vs traditional news. Detailed lesson plan with discussion points, review questions, slideshow lesson, handouts and activities. IN PERSON or ONLINE LEARNING. This life-long tool is great ANY TIME of the year: during BA$38.50$72.00Save $33.50
- Encourage a GROWTH MINDSET to deal with life obstacles, systemic racism, Covid 19, and academic challenges! High Interest FUN lessons that can be used ANY TIME! Perfect for the START of the school year or AFTER a COVID LOCKDOWN. Explicitly teach students: HOW to build character, be good citizens, co$67.50$132.16Save $64.66
- SAVE TIME and MONEY! This bundle includes every single Educircles resource on my TpT store.As I add more resources, the price of this product will increase. This is because TpT caps the discount I can offer on products in a bundle. I can only reduce the price by 50% in a bundle.Once you buy this pro$119.58$239.16Save $119.58
OPEN-ENDED REAL WORLD critical thinking lesson: Can your students find the lie?
Students watch a live stream video of an online giveaway.
- Did I cheat? Maybe.
- Am I lying? Absolutely.
- Can your students figure out the lie? Let's find out!
The video is also on the first slide of the slideshow lesson!
It goes over:
- 2:03 Why are we doing this?
- 3:00 Why does the video in the challenge look like it's talking to teachers?
- 4:34 What do we do? (Look for clues and inconsistencies) - ANALYSIS
- 5:15 Quick overview of the mini lesson on 3 critical thinking strategies
- 5:39 Using a student-created checklist to see if I'm lying - EVALUATING
- 7:24 What the class conversation might sound like
- Use the optional handouts to provide more structured support for students.
- 44 questions help guide students through the slideshow lesson and critical thinking process.
ABOUT THE LESSON:
Students explore 3 critical thinking strategies:
- USE CRITERIA to analyze and evaluate whether I am lying.
- Become more FULL MINDED and try to figure out what other information you need to figure out if I’m lying.
- Try to be more OPEN MINDED and wonder how the other point of view might be correct.
THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THE LESSON:
- Distance Learning friendly: Edit the Microsoft Powerpoint™ and Google Slides™ files
- The slideshow is provided in the zipped file. You can preview the NO PREP slideshow lesson here: VIEW the free Did I Cheat Psst I’m lying Round 2 slideshow lesson
- Answer key NOT provided. This is an open-ended real world problem. Sample answers are not provided so that students are not guided towards the "right" answer.
- EMAIL ME at Mike@educircles.org if you want a hint so you can provide some more clues to your students.
This lesson includes a few slides and concepts from the chapter of the .
ABOUT THE Educircles "DID I CHEAT" challenge
Did I Cheat is a series of high-interest, real-world critical thinking activities designed for grades 6 and up.
The free slideshow lessons can be taught at any time. The lesson focuses on slightly different critical thinking examples.
There are currently 2 rounds of the "Did I Cheat?" challenge.
Did I Cheat ROUND 1 ran from APR - JUN 2021
- The critical thinking lesson focuses on “cheating”
- How can we create a way to 1) cheat and get away with it or to 2) be more honest and transparent.
Did I Cheat ROUND 2 Psst I’m Lying runs from NOW - September 30, 2021
- The critical thinking lesson looks at the criteria for “lying” (instead of cheating)
- What additional info do we need to know to figure out if someone is lying?
..... Mon Oct 25, 2021 update: For those of you doing report cards, parent-teacher interviews, and other fun stuff, good luck!
NEW! Added a student discussion guide to go with this article about DEVIOUS LICKS and ACTIVE CITIZENSHIP.
My name is Mike Fuchigami. I'm the teacher behind Educircles.
- I want to help you SAVE HOURS of PREP. My goal is to help you EMPOWER STUDENTS to survive and thrive in a changing world!
- SUBSCRIBE to my YouTube channel for free lessons!
- FOLLOW my Facebook page for free resources and tips!
- FOLLOW this TpT store for free TpT gift cards!
Teachers around the world have DOWNLOADED over 36,805 Educircles resources!
- Check out the map! It shows the cities where teachers have bought one of my resources!
- THANK YOU to everyone who has purchased an Educircles product.
- Together, we've DONATED $7,530 of sales to STUDENT MENTAL HEALTH organizations!
✅ SOCIAL and EMOTIONAL LEARNING (SEL) in a world of Covid, Systemic Racism and Constant Change...
- BUILD character: develop resilience during uncertain times.
- EMPOWER classroom citizenship: actively participate in our school, local and global community to make the world a better place.
- THINK critically instead of reacting to fear, viral videos, or fake news.
- EVALUATE systemic discrimination in a real world case study: how might a system impose unfair burdens on a group of people?
- FREE activity: help students with SELF AWARENESS and SOCIAL AWARENESS. Start by asking your students who is invisible...
- FREE reading comprehension article: help students develop SELF AWARENESS and SELF CONTROL by setting goals and learning from mistakes.
✅ SAVE HOURS OF PREP (and money) with a bundle!
- Reading Strategies bundle
- Goal Setting bundle
- The Educircles EVERYTHING bundle (Psst, the price goes up as I add more resources to my store.)
Version 2.2 STUDENT INTRO VIDEO update (Sep 19, 2021)
- Slide 1 now has a video explaing to students what to do
- Simplified READ ME PDF
- Embedded fonts into the powerpoint so now no one has to worry about installing fonts.
Version 2.1: BIG HINT update (Aug 5, 2021)
- Slide 11 now has talks about where to get a BIG HINT
- READ ME FIRST PDF (FILE 1a) updated to include information about worksheet package and BIG HINT
- (FILE 1b) updated information about the Did I Cheat Psst I’m lying resource
If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the TpT Questions & Answers. You can also email me at Mike@educircles.org