Language Roots is a vocabulary program that uses Latin and Greek root-word identification to decipher unfamiliar words. This program gives kids the tools to figure out new vocabulary without having to run to a dictionary. Language Roots helps students move toward better reading fluency and comprehension.
This is a FREE TRIAL of unit 11 from Language Roots III.
Each 10-word Language Roots unit includes the following tools:
1. A POWERPOINT PRESENTATION that defines, visually illustrates and gives example words for 10 different Greek and Roman root words;
2. FLASHCARD TEMPLATES on which to take notes during the PowerPoint;
3. A 20-question matching and multiple choice QUIZ that asks students to define new words using their knowledge of that week’s roots;
4. Four different PRACTICE ACTIVITIES that ask students to use their knowledge of root words in new ways. The activities include:
- an ILLUSTRATION WORKSHEET for visual learners;
- a CROSSWORD PUZZLE using words that derive from each of that unit’s roots;
- a set of MATCHING/CONCENTRATION CARDS that can be used for memory games or as flashcards;
- a REFLECTION WORKSHEET that helps students think about how Greek and Roman root words shape the meaning of English words.
All document files are uploaded in .pdf format. I also include an editable .docx version of the quizzes. PowerPoint presentations are in .ppsx format. These presentations use the fonts Times New Roman and Papyrus. Your computer must have these fonts loaded to view the PowerPoints in their correct form.
These units were designed for 7th and 8th grade students in my support English class but are appropriate for all students in grades 5 - 8. I have found them to be a low-stress and accessible way to help my students "unpack" new words and read with greater confidence.
Keywords: Latin/Greek root words, Latin and Greek roots, vocabulary acquisition and use, word meaning, vocabulary strategies, reading strategies, Common Core State Standards L5.4B, L6.4B, L7.4B, L8.4B
Language Roots by Ellen M. Chapman is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.
For additional Language Roots units, visit my TpT store at http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ellen-Chapman