FREE March Open-Ended Math Questions for Journals / Do-Nows (First/Second Grade)
Here are two FREE pages from my March Open-Ended Questions Packet.
Over the last few years, I’ve made the switch to ALL Open-Ended Journal prompts. Why? Because it allows the kids to dig deeper and forces them to convey stronger mathematical reasoning. I see more “behind the scenes” thinking going on which is invaluable to me. With open-ended questions, there are multiple solutions.
Read more about this approach on my blog (and grab some freebies, too!)
✿The Value of Open-Ended Math Questions
- Old questions: There are 10 cookies. 7 are chocolate chip. How many are sugar? (There is only ONE answer.)
- Open-ended way: There are 10 cookies. Some are sugar and some are chocolate chip. How many of each could I have? (There are SEVERAL answers. Kids can make/show MANY combinations.)
My original intent was to place these in the back of the kids’ poetry binders. But that still involved passing out papers and binders opening and closing, which can be a lot of work! So, I now run them off and create a little monthly packet. These go home at the end of the month. I only have 15-18 problems in my packets and use the rest for DO-NOWS that go home that day. These can also be used for homework.
- Can be folded in half and glued in notebooks if that's what you are currently using.
- I offer lower/higher numbers for some problems so you can differentiate.
- All problems have lots of possible answers so I make it clear to kids that I want to see several possible answers. It is expected. Seeing what’s NOT there is just as telling as seeing what is there.
- Once you switch over to Open-Ended, you'll never want the standard prompts again. I promise!
✿September Open-Ended Math Questions
✿October Open-Ended Math Questions
✿November Open-Ended Math Questions
✿December Open-Ended Math Questions
✿January Open-Ended Math Questions
✿February Open-Ended Math Questions
✿June Open-Ended Math Questions
Other March Products you may be interested in:
✿ FREE Leprechaun Trap Letter to Send Home (STEM Activity)
✿ Goal Setting for March (Low Prep Writing Craft)
✿ March Which One Doesn't Belong? (Open Ended Questions)
✿ March Crowns (Read Across America, Women's History, Lion/Lamb, St. Pats)
✿ FREEBIE! Lucky Leprechaun (Clear the Board Math Game)
✿ Quick Picks March (Budget Friendly ELA and Math Printables)
✿ Four Brave Women (Women's History Month)
✿ March Writing Prompts (Pick a Prompt)
✿ FREEBIE (2 pages) March Open Ended Math Questions
✿ March Open Ended Math Questions
✿ Garden Theme Book Its (5 Spring Books)
✿ The Kite: Frog and Toad Book It
✿ The Garden: Frog and Toad Book It
✿ Word Wizard Spelling Practice Printables (March/April)
Let's keep in touch!
☀️Visit my blog at FirstGradeBloomabilities
☀️ Follow me on Instagram
☀️ Subscribe to my newsletter FirstGradeBloomabilitiesand download my FREE 50 Page Bucket Filler Activities now.