Welcome to 20Time, where students spend 20 percent of their class time over a 12-week period pursuing a meaningful project of their own choosing. In this free packet of 23 PDF pages and 25 Prezi slides, you’ll find a variety of materials to help guide middle-school and high-school students through this project-based learning experience, similar in scope to other PBLs such as the 20 Percent Project and Genius Hour.
As I blogged at www.laurarandazzo.com
about my recent experiences using 20Time with four sections of high school freshmen and one section of juniors, fellow teachers asked many great questions and requested that I put all of my materials together in one convenient spot. This packet is my effort to gather my 20Time blog posts and materials in one grab-and-go location.
This package includes:
• Links to the entire series of 20Time blog posts
• Letter to parents/guardians explaining the philosophy behind the project
• Link to a reusable 25-slide Prezi with zooming animations
• 60-Second Project Pitch (also known as “Guppy Tank,” a kinder, gentler Shark Tank public speaking experience) Assignment sheet
• 60-Second Project Pitch/Guppy Tank Rubric
• Peer voting result slips on 60-Second Project Pitch/Guppy Tank performances
• List of 30 generic project ideas for students who struggle to find a meaningful project
• List of 50 specific projects completed by my students this year to give you a sense of where we ended up
• Weekly planning slips (“Exit Tickets”) to help students get organized the day before each in-class work session (12 slightly different versions; use one per week for 12 weeks)
• End-of-Project Speech Assignment handout
• End-of-Project Speech Rubric
I hope these materials are helpful in bringing the many benefits of project-based learning to your students. Thanks for stopping by!
Keywords: PBL; project-based learning; real-world problem solving; applying language arts skills; technology; Google; 20 percent project; 20%; 20Time; Genius Hour; innovation; creativity; independent projects; handouts; rubrics; Prezi slides; fun stuff