Targeting Common Core Standards RI 3.8, RI 4.8 & RI 5.8 with Intentionality: This is a free sampler from the following resource.
Please see my Text Structure Flipbook
to take advantage of all the activities this resource has to offer, OR go digital and check out the Digital Classroom Format
! (See last thumbnail above.)
Description of Original Flipbook Resource:
This easily constructed, all-in-one resource provides multiple lessons using 5 non-fiction passages. All passages focus on one high-interest topic. However, each passage utilizes a different text structure to present information. Through the passages and activities in this flipbook, students will explore the different organizational structures of informational texts, how authors use a specific structure that is best suited for presenting ideas to the reader, and how the organization of these ideas helps the reader make connections between key details to determine the author’s main points or ideas.
This flipbook contains:
• A descriptive passage- the physical features of a squid
• A sequential passage- how a squid captures and eats its prey
• A compare & contrast passage- similarities and difference between a squid and octopus
• A cause & effect passage- how bioluminescence helps a squid survive
• A problem & solution passage- the exploding population of squid
Each section of this flipbook contains:
• A description of the specific text structure and the purpose it serves authors when presenting information
• A list of signal words that help students identify that specific structure
• A passage that demonstrates that specific organizational pattern
• A graphic organizer specific to analyzing that text structure
For each section, students will:
• Read the passage
• Highlight specific details as per directions
• Circle signal words
• Complete a graphic organizer using key details identified by the highlighted text to make connections between these ideas
• Demonstrate understanding of the specific structure by completing an exit slip (exit slip answer keys included)
Please visit my store for other instructional materials that intentionally teach common core standards and make planning any literature read aloud so much easier!
RL3.2, 4.2 & 5.2~Finding the Theme & Message in Literature
RL3.3~Describing Character Traits, Feelings & Motives
RL3.6, 4.6 & 5.6~Distinguishing Point of View & Perspective
Needing some Ready-to-Go, detailed lessons to ignite your reading program? All you have to do is print and go!
~ Seed Lessons for Growing Thoughtful Readers