FREEBIE: Gumball Subtraction - A Fun Way for Students to Learn Their Facts!
Stop your students from subtracting on their fingers!!!
As teachers we know that fluency in math facts is crucial for students in order to progress successfully through math concepts.
Boring drills, however, are not motivating for our students. If there's one fool-proof method to motivate our students, its through yummy treats!
This subtraction facts fluency practice is a fun way for students to learn, practice, and KNOW their subtraction facts As students learn and practice their subtraction facts through 1 minute fast fact quizzes, they build a paper gumball machines. For example, once the students know all of their -1 subtraction facts, they earn their gumball machine. After they know the -2, they glue one gumball into the gumball machine. They continue to add gumballs until they've passed all quizzes. Once they know all their facts, they can earn a real gum treat. The visual representation of what each student has mastered is a great reminder of what they still need to practice.
Provided in the download are the following:
1) A heading poster for your "Gumball Subtraction" bulletin board
2) Full directions for how to set up this process in your classroom
3) Gumball pieces for students
4) A teacher tracking sheet to monitor student process
5) 12 Gumball Subtraction minute quizzes (one for each level 1-12)
6) A certificate to give each student as they complete all levels of the challenge.
If you love this product, you will also love these other FREE challenges!