Meter Manipulatives to practice Adding Bar Lines
Set Up Directions:
- Print, cut, and laminate the needed pages to assemble the baskets you need.
- You may want to print enough for 4-6 baskets for each concept to use with small groups, or you may just want to print one basket to use with centers.
- TIP: If you keep each rhythm concept in its own baggie within the basket, you can easily add or take away certain rhythms for different grade levels.
You will also need:
- Popsicle sticks
- Bingo chips (optional - if you would like to give students the option to add repeats)
Ideas for use:
- You can use this manipulative in small groups with the whole class, individually with the whole class, or in centers.
- Students could notate a known song, adding bar lines in the appropriate places according to the time signature.
- Students could compose their own song (on their own or in small groups) adding the bar lines where needed.
- Students could play “error detection” where the teacher (or another student) has set up a song with the Popsicle stick bar lines in the WRONG places and another student (or group of students) must correct it.
The possibilities are endless! If you come up with other creative ways to use these, I would love to hear about it! Let me know in the comments below if you have a creative way you used these in your music class or feel free to email me at LindsayJervis@hotmail.com to share what you did.
Read my blog post about these here
Connect with me! Make sure that you are following my store (just click the green star by my name) to get the latest scoop on new resources, sales, and freebies.
Follow me on Facebook @ Lindsay's Kodaly Inspired Classroom
Check out my Pinterest Boards
Follow me on Instagram
Get some great ideas on my blog, Kodaly Inspired Classroom