Stop your students from counting on their fingers!!!
As teachers we know that fluency in math facts is crucial for students in order to progress successfully through math concepts.
Boring drills, however, are not motivating for our students. If there's one fool-proof method to motivate our students, it's through yummy treats!
This addition facts fluency practice is a fun way for students to learn, practice, and KNOW their addition facts (up to 12). As students learn and practice their addition facts through 1 minute fast fact quizzes, they build a paper popcorn bucket. For example, once the students know all of their +1 addition facts, they earn their popcorn bucket. After they know the +2, they glue one popcorn kernel onto the bucket. They continue to add kernels until they've passed all 12 quizzes. Once they know all their facts up to 12, they earn a real popcorn party! The visual representation of what each student has mastered is a great reminder of what they still need to practice.
Provided in the download are the following:
1) A heading poster for your "POP Up Some Math Facts" bulletin board
2) Full directions for how to set up this process in your classroom
3) Paper popcorn pieces for students
4) A teacher tracking sheet to monitor student process
5) 12 "Ready...Set...POP!" minute quizzes (one for each level 1-12)
6) A certificate to give each student as they complete all levels of the challenge.
If you love this challenge, you may also like these other FREE math fact challenges:Multiplication Challenge