FREEBIE - Steadfast Tin Soldier Essay Samples for Critical Comparison Grades 6-12
, is just one small part of a successful, larger critical thinking and writing unit. Whose main goal is student essay writing success.
Provided Free for you – this holiday taster freebie is a “Critical Thinking and Writing Expectations Primer” which, should YOU CHOOSE to continue, may serve to help students write their own essays. It is wonderful because how often do you have time to write different versions of weak and strong essays so that students can analyze the differences, and then apply what they learned when they write?
This resource does the work for you
, and studies show time and time again how valuable this comparative and analytical step is in helping students absorb writing application skills.
In this generous freebie, you will find:
• The Steadfast Tin Soldier – story, by Hans Christian Anderson. Appropriate for grades 6-12
• Two actual essay samples on the same topic – one is considered #2 – or developing, the other is considered #4, or very strong.
• GOAL – Students will read BOTH, and use the included RUBIC, and ANALYSIS sheet in groups, pairs or whole group to compare, and differentiate why one essay is stronger, and HOW the stronger essay is actually the better essay. You will review and discuss. Students are encouraged to write on the essays.
• BONUS – An additional sheet allows you to have students only compare one small essay section against another. For example, discuss why one introduction is better than the other, (or the conclusion, for example).
• GOAL #2 – Not included, but suggested here. Once you have discussed and collected students’ handouts, you may have students attempt their own essay. Or . . .
Do you want the whole resource?
Comprehension, Critical thinking, an extra creative activity, plus….
Filled with step-by-step guidance so students are prepared to write an essay, and you are ready to grade it! Click to learn more about
The Steadfast Soldier Critical Thinking and Writing Activity Pack Gr. 6-12
Do you need other Winter or Holiday Units, that are fun and rigorous, but are less work for you? Please consider:
The Elves and the Shoemaker: a Writing and Critical Thinking Activity Pack, Gr. 6-12
Winter Holidays Common Core Research Presentation Project Gr. 6-12.
Gift of the Magi Complete Activity Pack. Gr. 6-12.
The Hanukkah Master Activity Pack with Common Core Standards Gr. 6-12.
Get TPT credit to use on ANY of Your future purchases!
• Please go to your My Purchases
page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback
button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you. ☺
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the star
near the top of any page within my store and click it to become a follower
. Voila! You will now receive customized email updates about this store. ☺
Would you like to SELL on TPT?
• If you feel you have something to share with other teachers. . .
• Sign on to be a Teachers Pay Teachers seller.
• Click on to my referral link. I enjoy helping others learn the ropes.
• You can begin here: Sign Me up to TPT with PerfettoWritingRoom as a Coach!