This is an art and language activity for kids.
A great way to introduce and unlock poetry for children is through art. Once kids see that poems are an expression of a time, event, place, or an emotion, then they start to see the meaning of poetry, and it begins to mean something to them. Soon they will be writing their own beautiful verses!
This is how I like to do this activity:
1. Read the poem together with students. Make sure the child reads the poem out loud. Discuss the images the words make in their minds and what feelings or ideas come up. As if there is anything confusing about the poem, and discuss what the poem is about, what they like or dont like, etc.
2. Draw or paint the poem's images. Remember that there is no right way to do this and let students have complete freedom with their artwork! You will be delighted and surprised with the images they create!
3. Have students do show and tell with their artwork.
4. Hang up for display or send it home with the kids.
* You can use page 1 as an all-in-one activity
* You can use page 2 as the space for art and then page 3 as an add-on (staple or paste) onto the child's picture