activity allows students to gather information, take notes, and complete an essay based on the process used to assess them through high-stakes testing. Students will read an informational text called What Makes a Hero Great, they will watch a video piece explaining the Hero’s Journey Myth, and hear or read a narrative based on a super hero. They will then create their own hero through a craftivity
and create a comic strip to go with their creation. The final step of the process is to learn and use the steps to write an opinion writing piece based on the Common Core Standards expectations in testing. Opinion Writing student notebook page included!
Here is What You Will Find Inside!
• Opinion Writing Student Notebook Page
• Prompt #1 includes the specific title Superdog: The Heart of a Hero (Also known as Dexter: The Heart of a Hero)
• Prompt #2 is to read an Assigned Story from You, the Teacher!
• What Make a Great Hero Reading Prompt
• Investigate a Hero Video Watching Directions
• Steps in The Hero's Journey Myth Note Taking Guide and Answer Key
• Super Dog: The Heart of a Hero Graphic Organize
• The Heart of the Hero Graphic Organizer for ANY Superhero
• Short Response Questions
• Creating Your Superhero Teacher Directions
• Superhero Examples
• Comic Strip Tips
• 2 Pages of Hero Patterns
• Project Rubric
• Assessment Ideas
• Final Student Sample
Picture books used in addition to the informational text could be Superdog, The Heart of a Hero and Super Hero ABC. An alternative option is to read an assigned hero story of your choice is included!
Other Writing Products you may be interested in!
Spot the Prompt: A Types of Writing Prompts Game
Writing All About Snow Globes: Write to Inform Testing Prompt
What is a Prairie: A Cross Curricular Informational Writing Activity
Interesting Animals of Florida: A Cross-Curricular Opinion Writing Test Prep
Valentines Day Writing Promp Write to Inform High Stakes Testing Prompt
Writing Prompt: Back-to-School FREEBIE
Please be sure to follow me for new products, 1/2 price for a limited time! Also, all TPT Teachers love feedback! Please take a minute after you download to share how you feel about any product you download!
Thanks, Julie from The Best Days :)
Follow The Best Days on Facebook
Follow The Best Days on Instagram
Follow The Best Days at The Best Days Blog