Also included in
- Easily meet critical standards for ELA instruction with this Fables Bundle. Filled with two fable units, students will be able to read, analyze, compare, contrast, and write fables. In the Fable Study Unit students will read three versions of the fable “Ant and Grasshopper.” They’ll analyze the f$15.99$17.98Save $1.99
- Save with this bundle of 3 writing units. The bundle includes a Narrative Writing Unit, a Fable Writing Unit, and a Poetry Writing Unit. Together they span 31 days of instruction!Great news! These writing units include a traditional PDF version of the student writing packets, as well as links for$29.99$33.97Save $3.98
- Looking for an awesome set of lesson plans to teach during the month of July…or even during summer school? This set of four units has everything you need to get students learning all summer long! Filled with units on writing, reading, analyzing, speaking, and listening, this bundle is all you need$22.99$27.46Save $4.47
- Save BIG with this set of 12 writing units! Meet every single writing standard as students progress through 12 engaging and detailed units. This writing unit bundle includes units for Narrative, Expository, Persuasive, Descriptive, Memoir, Biography, Speech, Opinion, Poetry, Letter, Myth, and Fabl$99.99$113.38Save $13.39
In this 10-day unit students will study mentor texts to become experts on the characteristics of fables and children’s books. Then, they will write their own fable in the form of a children’s book. After reading and studying mentor texts, students will begin writing their fables. During the pre-writing phase students will select a moral, plan their fable, develop their characters, and establish the setting for their story. Students will develop their plot with plot development tools including brainstorming the conflict, outlining the plot sequence, creating a storyboard, and a plot pitch exercise with peers. After writing their first draft, students will revise their fables with revision guides on dialogue, showing rather than telling, adding sensory details, peer editing, and self-editing. Finally, after planning out the text and illustrations in their children’s book, students will produce a children’s book. Completed children’s books are perfect for sharing! Students can share their books with the entire class, small groups, partners, or even read them to younger students. This unit is fun, engaging, and a definite student-favorite!
Great news! This resource includes a traditional PDF version of the student writing packet, as well as a link for Google Slides. This means that this resource is ready for Google Classroom! The digital version of the packet is accessible from any computer and allows students to complete their work online. You’ll find links for digital versions of the student writing packet and the grading rubric included with this resource.
This detailed Fable Writing Unit includes:
- Detailed Unit/Lesson Plans (10)
- Student Grade Sheet
- Fable Rubric
The Student Fable Writing Packet Includes:
- Children’s Book Review Guide (3)
- Favorite Children’s Book Reflection
- Guided Notes - Children’s Books and Fables
- Fable Lesson Brainstorm
- Pre-Write - Planning
- Pre-Write - Character Brainstorm
- Pre-Write - Setting
- Pre-Write - Brainstorming the Conflict
- Pre-Write - Plot
- Pre-Write - Storyboard
- Plot Pitch Activity
- Revising - Dialogue
- Revising - Showing Rather Than Telling
- Revising - Sensory Details
- Illustration Brainstorm
- Text and Illustration Storyboard
- Peer Conference Guide
- Editing Checklist
Keys: (13 keys total)
- Guided Notes Keys
- Sample keys for all pre-writing and revising activities (10)
Common Core State Standards addressed in this unit:
- W.3A, W.3B, W.3C, W.3D, W.3E, W.4, W.5, W.10
- SL.1.A, SL.1.B, SL.1.C, SL.1.D
- L.1, L.2, L.3, L.5, L.6
- RL.2, RL.3, RL.4, RL.6, RL.10
FYI: This unit is also a part of two BUNDLES:
- Writing Unit Bundle. The bundle is filled with 3 Writing Units - Narrative, Poetry, and Fable Writing. You can check it out HERE.
- Fables Bundle A 17 day unit that will have students reading and analyzing 3 versions of a fable and then writing their own fable. You can check it out HERE.
You may also like...
- BUNDLE! 10 Creative Writing Lessons and Activities
- Fun in Five Pack! 12 FREE Lesson Extenders
- Classroom Management - Tips, Tricks, and Tools
- Persuasive Writing Unit
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
Let’s Stay in Touch!
Brain Waves Instruction