This lesson was prepared to review/learn how to factor various types of polynomials. It is especially useful to do before embarking on a unit on rational expressions.
The lesson has levels of differentiation. This lesson could last one to four days, depending on the class’s progress each day.
The strategy behind the lesson is to give students (working in pairs) a set of expressions to factor. Due to the nature of this product, every student pair may be working on a different set of expressions than their neighboring students. I found that the students like the process of “pulling from the envelope”, which leads to an element of surprise or choice.
This lesson includes:
• Easy quadratic expressions for factoring (cards) where a=1 and all signs are positive
• Medium quadratic expressions for factoring (cards) where a=1 and negative signs are included
• Easy expressions for factoring out the GCF (cards)
• Medium expressions for factoring out the GCF (cards)
• Difference of two squares expressions (cards)
• Recording sheet
• Summary sheet of three types of factoring
• Lesson Instructions
This lesson was created by Susan M. Walker.