The following Practice Perfect is all about factoring quadratics. They are as follows:
#1 - Factoring a GCF
#2 - Factoring Difference of Squares (some with a GCF)
#3 - Factoring a = 1 (some have a GCF)
#4 – Factoring a ≠ 1 (some have GCF)
#5 – Hodge-Podge! This could be any of the above
Here’s how it works... first, cut each sheet apart (each sheet is a half-page). Pass out #1 to each student. They are to complete it on their own. When they have it completed, they will bring it to you to grade. If they have it 100% correct, you will keep it (to ensure no one copies) and they will pick up #2. The first time you look at it, if it is not 100% correct, you will mark which problems are incorrect, but do not offer feedback. The student is then to go back to their seat to find their mistake and correct it. When they bring it back up the second time, if they have them correct, you collect and they pick up #2.
• If after the second attempt, the student still does not have the problems 100% correct, you will have a one-on-one conversation with the student helping them to realize their errors and how they can correct them. Once they finally have it corrected, they too will move on to #2.
• Do not pass out all Practice Perfect parts at once. It’s important for the students to master one at a time so that you can see their progress one skill at a time.
• This process will continue until all sheets have been completed...perfectly! Practice makes perfect!
• As an added incentive to the students, I offer 1 bonus point per Practice Perfect sheet if they have it 100% correct on their first attempt (you could offer candy or other incentive if you don’t want to use bonus points). This makes the students really focus and try their best from the start.
• I have also included an excel spreadsheet for your use to help in keeping track of the sheets for your students. You can add in your student’s names and then put a checkmark for each numbered sheet as you check them in as 100% correct. I also included a column for bonus...I usually make tally marks here.
I hope you and your students enjoy Practice Perfect!
After all, practice does make perfect!
If you like this product, please visit our store at Math is Not a 4 Letter Word Store
Check out some of our other activities!
Solving Quadratics Luck of the Draw
Simplifying Square Roots Luck of the Draw
Factoring Quadratics: Rock, Paper, Scissors
Factoring Baseball Review
Solving Polynomial Equations by Factoring Luck of the Draw