This Smart Notebook file will guide you through teaching the students to factor the special cases of trinomial squares and the difference of two squares.
It is built on the area model for multiplying. Prior to using this lesson students should be familiar with multiplying binomials using the area model. There is a Smart Notebook file in my store on using the Rectangle Method which is the area model.
The zipped file contains a Smart Notebook File, a student handout, and a set of directions for using the Smart Notebook File.
In the Smart Notebook file
• Slide 2 is the Do Now where students are reminded of the area model for multiplying binomials.
• Slides 3 and 4 have the students use the area model to square a binomial and notice they get a trinomial square as the answser.
• Slides 5 and 6 ask the student if the trinomials given are trinomial squares. Do the trinomials have characteristics developed in slides 3 and 4?
• Slides 7, 8 and 9 have the students consider binomials that multiply to make a difference of two squares.
• Slide 10 contains six polynomials that students should be able to factor based on the previous slides.