You will receive two versions – factoring expressions and solving quadratics by factoring. The reason – factoring leads to solving but solving and factoring may be taught or emphasized at different parts of Algebra courses. The solving version has the exact same equations with the exact same answers with a twist: students have to make sure the equations are equal to zero before they start. The reason is that normally when a student factors for the first time, they don’t always know they will end up solving. When students are in a quadratics unit, the world isn’t quite as nice and the equations are a bit messier. The benefit for you, the teacher, is that if a student could factor these and then later, they have no idea how to solve them, it provides you with important information.
3 factor out GCF to reduce a to 1.
Remaining problems begin with a equal to 1.
See my other products for versions with a=1 and a is prime.
There are more products in the Factoring Fluency Product line including specific checks for Factoring the following:
• Tic Tac Toe Math Factoring and Solving Quadratics
• Factoring Special Patterns: Difference of Squares and Perfect Square Trinomials
• Factoring Quadratics All Types Fluency Quiz
• Factoring Quadratics a=1, Fluency Check
• Factoring Quadratics a is composite, Fluency Check
• Factoring Quadratics a is prime, Fluency Check
• Factor Sum and Difference of Cubes Fluency Check
• Factor by Grouping Fluency Check
Common Core Standards:
• A.SSE.A.1a: Interpret parts of an expression.
• A.SSE.A.2: Use the structure of an expression to identify ways to rewrite it.
• A.SSE.B.3 Choose and produce an equivalent form of an expression to reveal and explain properties of the quantity represented by the expression.
• IF.C.8a: Use the process of factoring in a quadratic function to show zeros.
Answer Keys included.
Suggestions for usage based on the nature of your class.
Logo background licensed from The Candy Class
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License