Word Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Once you have taught the factors that affect the rate of reaction this is a fun way to embed the knowledge whilst also having a bit of fun. You could also teach it as an introduction to the topic, allowing students to learn from the demonstration as opposed to applying existing knowledge to the demo.
Great opportunity to get students out of the classroom and active
- Some outdoor space/ ask to borrow the school gym
- At least 15 balls (ideally basket balls, footballs or volleyballs)
- Your students
• How temperature affects the rate of reaction
• How pressure affects the rate of reaction
• How concentration affects the rate of reaction
• How a catalyst affects the rate of reaction
Also allows students to visualise particles and gain a greater understanding of what happens when these factors change in terms of reaction particles
Contains plans for both student led and teacher led as well as differentiation ideas
Suitable for middle school and high school as students are likely to cover rates of reaction multiple times.
Activity can take 30 minutes to an hour depending on how you run it and whether you discuss the extensions