Also included in
- This bundle includes 8 of my favorite, interactive Smart Board games and activities. These all work with the program “Smart Notebook,” so please make sure you have this program before downloading. This bundle has a $40 value! You can leave these games for a sub if they can use the Smart Board!Smart$28.00$40.00Save $12.00
- This is bundle #1 of many of my most popular Smart Notebook resources, including "Case of the Missing Manuscript" (#1 best seller!), Beethoven Trivia (#3 best seller!), as well as Rhythm Taco Stand and "Faeries and Giants," two of my all-time favorite resources. Included are games, reviews, warm-ups$38.00$63.00Save $25.00
- This is bundle #2 of many of my most popular Smart Notebook resources, including "Case of the Lost Orchestra" (part of my best-selling series "Music Detective"), Beethoven Trivia (#3 all-time best seller!), as well as Rhythm Ice Cream Truck and "NAME THAT INSTRUMENT (great for subs!". Included are$45.00$83.50Save $38.50
- This is a bundle of all my current kindergarten and first grade materials available for elementary music. It includes mostly games (some are included in both PowerPoint and SMART Notebook), plus voice warm-ups, printable assessments, Christmas and patriotic song choreography (Christmas Choreo is my$75.00$113.25Save $38.25
- Form and Movement Exploration bundle for elementary music classThis bundle includes two fairy tales that teach form to young musicians using experience instead of direct teaching. Students love the stories and love to move around, acting out the story!To use: Students read the original fairy tale, o$8.50$15.00Save $6.50
I created this story to awaken my students’ imagination and to help them learn to love classical music. This is the Smart Notebook version. I have made this a better resource by adding a variety of skin tones. CLICK HERE FOR POWERPOINT VERSION: Faeries and Giants - Classical Movement Activity for PowerPoint - Elementary Music
“Faeries and Giants” by Elgar is included in the textbook “Spotlight on Music” Grade K, and is also available on YouTube. Elgar's beautiful music combined with my fun story and activity will turn your students on to classical music. It’s a great activity to use at the end of the year because they get to move around, acting out the story. They stay engaged and beg to do it over and over again!
Here are the teacher notes included in the file:
Use this story as an introduction to classical music. After you read the story, play the music and have the girls act out the fairy part and the boys act out the giant part. I use the recording from "Spotlight on Music" Grade K, or you can use youtube.com.
Use this search - "Elgar: Wand of Youth Suite Op. 1a: Fairies and Giants"
Until they get accustomed to the game, they might need teacher prompting during the music.
This is one of the most successful things I do with my younger students (kindergarten and first grade). When I want to reward my older students for something, they inevitably ask if they can play "Faeries and Giants." I had a fourth grader ask for it just this week!
This makes a wonderful introduction to classical music. After this lesson, students will recognize other classical pieces as "Faeries and Giants," to which you can help them connect the orchestral sound to classical music.
Obviously, you will have to remind your students of proper classroom procedures (like no running), and you may want to include that they have to tell the story with no words (no talking).
You may also like:
Connect with Meg’s Music Room!
TpT - Be sure to follow my TpT store by clicking on the red “Follow Me” button next to my seller picture to receive notifications of new products and upcoming sales! Meg's Music Room Store
Blog - Meg's Music Room Blog
Facebook - Meg's Music Room Facebook Page
Copyright © Megan Heikkila. All rights reserved by author. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Clipart and elements in this product are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. Intended for classroom and personal use only.