This fairy tale unit contains activity sheets, graphic organizers for reading comprehension and writing activities and 7 games for your literacy center. Print in color or if you prefer a black ink copy is included. British English is also included.
Fairy tale Adjectives - describe fairy tale nouns
Snow White’s Birthday - What would different fairy tale characters give Snow White for her birthday? The gifts must relate to the character.
Traveling to Granny’s - This activity requires students to use higher order thinking skills as they determine the many different ways to travel through the forest.
Word Search - Use the left over letters to find out what Baby Bear said.
Missing Word - A close activity
Secret Code - Use the code to work out what is written on the secret note that Jack found.
Reading Comprehension - Character
• Comparing Characters - Pick two different fairy tale characters from any fairy tale and compare them.
• Describing Characters - Describe the fairy tale characters by listing their good and bad points.
• Character Traits - A poster is provided listing the different character traits.
• Character Traits - Students record some words to describe the characters in Cinderella and Jack and the beanstalk.
• Character Traits – record the appearance and character traits of the following characters: The Troll, The Witch, Goldilocks, Jack, The Giant, The Eldest Pig, Red Riding Hood, The little Red Hen, and The Wolf.
• Character Summary - Pick a fairy tale, identify the main character, the villain and the the hero and write what they did.
• Saying Sorry – have your characters write a four step apology to the characters they have done wrong by.
• Character Study – Draw and describe the character and decide whether you would be friend with them.
Reading Comprehension - Plot
• Story Elements - Pick a fairy tale, draw and write the characters, describe the setting and identify the problem and solution in the story. A story elements poster is included.
• Fairy Tale Retells – Use the graphic organizers for any tale or specific ones for the following tales – Goldilocks and the three bears, Jack and the Beanstalk, Three Little Pigs and Little Red Riding Hood
• Comparing Fairy Tales - Pick two different fairy tales and compare them.
• Comprehension Cards - Read through 34 question cards about fairy tales and place them in either the yes or no pile.
All writing activities have examples for the children to follow
• Royal Proclamation - Write a royal proclamation claiming shorter school days, more holidays, sweets on demand etc.
• Wanted Poster - identify villains in fairy tales and write a wanted poster.
• Letter Writing - Write a letter to Goldilocks' mother discussing Goldilocks' poor behavior.(British English spelling is included); Pretend you are the Giant’s wife and tell Jack’s mother what her son has been up to; The woodcutter is concerned that Little Red isn’t being careful and lets her mother know; The three little pigs want the damage to their houses to be paid for.
• Change the story - It is now Baby Bear who visits Goldilocks' house. The Three Llittle Pigs are trying to grow vegetable gardens but someone is eating their crops. What is Jack going to climb up and who is he going to steal from this time?. Who is Little Red visiting?
• Riddle - make a 'Who am I riddle' about a fairy tale character.
Bears and Stairs - 2 to 4 players
In this snakes and ladders style game, players must add or subtract given numbers to their starting number (regrouping is involved)
Little Pig, Little Pig - 4 players
Players must give a sentence about the theme word without revealing the word. The other players must guess the correct word.
Granny’s House - 2 to 4 players
Players must give the answer to the number fact in order to progress in the game.
Jack and the Beanstalk - 2 to 4 players
Players must add and subtract from their money amount as they progress through this snakes and ladders style game. (regrouping is involved)
Stop - 3 or more players
This game is a blank template ready for you to write in equations that are relevant to your class.
Threes - 3 or more players
Record spelling words on the page provided. Players roll the die and spell the word they are given on their bingo card. If they are correct the word stays, if incorrect the word must be erased.
Three in a Row - 2 players
Players must add, subtract or multiply the numbers from the dice roll and cover them on the grid.
The board games are available separately for $4.50
Fairy Tales - board games
You may prefer to purchase the activities separately for $4.50
Fairy Tales - activity sheet, comprehension and writing activities
⇒You might also be interested in: Editable Sight Word Worksheets and Games – Fairy tale Themed
Become a follower and take advantage of my Early Bird Specials, freebies and product launches.
Look for the green star
near the top of any page within my store and click it to become a follower. You will then receive customized email updates about this store.
Would you like to receive TPT credit to use on future purchases?
Just go to your My Purchases
page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback
button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.