This packet should be used for an engineering unit in your classrooms. I absolutely love to do this with my students. The learning and perseverance displayed by each student is phenomenal!
Your students will spend time ENGINEERING a way to solve a problem presented in a fairy tale. This packet is versatile in that you can use the reader with a pre-made fairy tale problem to solve OR you can choose your own fairy tale to read to the class and then the class can come up with their own problem to solve.
This packet contains:
- Step by Step directions for how to implement in your classroom
- A note to go home asking for recyclable materials
- Posters describing the engineering process
- Projectable graphic organizer to write down the problems in a fairy tale
- Ideas of problems from fairy tales that might be presented after a read aloud
- Designing sheet
- Checklist for testing their design
- Reflection sheets
- Self-evaluation rubrics
- Contains a fairy tale with a pre-made problem that the students must solve.
This unit connects to the following Common Core Science Standards (from TN's standards):
- GLE 0107.T/E.2: Apply engineering design and creative thinking to solve practical problems.
- 0107.T/E.2 Invent designs for simple products.
- GLE 0207.T/E.2: Apply engineering design and creative thinking to solve practical problems.
- 0207.T/E.2: Invent designs for simple products.
- GLE 0307.T/E.3: Identify appropriate materials, tools, and machines that can extend or enhance the ability to solve a specified problem.
- GLE 0307.T/E.1 Describe how tools, technology, and inventions help to answer questions and solve problems.
- 0307.T/E.4 Evaluate an invention that solves a problem and determine ways to improve the design.
Follow me by clicking the green star to get new product updates.
Save money by becoming a TPT seller and providing feedback on purchases. Your feedback is valuable to me and helps me build better products :) Thank you!
Feel free to check out how this works on my blog: