Notre Dame sociologist Christian Smith has been on the forefront of studying the rather startling statistics of why so many American teens are giving up their faith as they get older. Here’s a brief summary of his conclusions:
- “No other conceivable causal influence… comes remotely close to matching the influence of parents on the religious faith and practices of youth.”
- “Parents, for better or worse, are actually the most influential pastors... of their children.”
- “One of the strongest factors associated with older teens keeping their faith as young adults was having parents who talked about religion and spirituality at home.”
With these findings in mind, I have tried to create extra opportunities for my students and their parents (and strong Catholic adults in general) to have meaningful conversations of faith. This assignment was designed to do precisely that.
Whether you use this as part of your Confirmation program or simply as a Religion class assignment, you will be emboldened knowing you did your best to provide opportunities for faith growth for not only your student, but their parents and possibly sponsor as well. (Who knows, this interview might spark a parent to come back to the Church or begin to take their faith more seriously…)
There are two sets of parent and Confirmation interviews provided in this download. Each interview provides questions from the following categories:
- Just for Fun - Questions to help break the ice and get the conversation going (Example: If you had a time machine, where and when would you travel and why?)
- Life - Questions about general life experiences (Example: Who were some of your heroes/role models that you looked up to while you were growing up? What about them did you admire?)
- Faith - Questions specifically about the personal faith of parents/sponsors (Example: What have been some of the most profound spiritual moments in your life?
Your digital download includes:
- 2 editable parent interviews
- 2 editable sponsor interviews
- Editable list of instructions for students and explanation to parents/sponsors on the purpose of this assignment
- Editable interview introduction page that can be shared with parents/sponsors if so desired
- Powerpoint (PC) versions of my original Keynote (Mac) files
Howdy! My name is Greg Aitchison, a husband, father, and 14-year teacher of the Catholic faith. If you’re a teacher looking for fun, engaging, and inspiring resources that’ll and help your students become “mini-theologians” and “big-time SAINTS”, then you’ve come to the right place!
⭐⭐⭐ 5 AND THINGS TO DO:
1. Become a part of Join my e-mail list to get a bunch of freebies, enjoy great sales, and be the first to hear about all kinds of brand-new content! (*If you don’t love all the awesomeness, you can of course unsubscribe whenever you want.)
2. Click the “Follow Me” star at the top of this page to be notified of flash sales and new resources as soon as they’re available!
3. Get some ! Every time you give feedback for a product you have purchased, Teachers Pay Teachers will give you “feedback credits” that you can use to lower the cost of any of your future purchases. Just go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login), click the text that says Provide Feedback (beside each purchase), and leave a review! My goal is to and your feedback helps me do just that! It means A TON to me to get a 5-star review. Not only does it encourage other buyers to check out my products, but it inspires me to create even more fun and engaging resources!
4. Check out for all kinds of awesome Catholic merch (posters, stickers, coffee mugs, and more!). There are of designs to choose from, including posters for your classroom that can literally change the lives of your students. Don’t believe me? Check out my blog post, to see just how much of a game-changer I found posters to be in my classroom.
5. Visit my website, for even more resources and inspiration! ✝️
Thanks for stopping by!
Questions, comments, or just want to say “Hi!”? Drop me a line anytime! E-mail: Greg@CatholicReligionTeacher.com
Copyright © Catholic Religion Teacher - Products are for use by the original purchaser only and are bound by copyright laws. Redistributing, selling, or posting this item (or any part thereof) on the Internet are strictly prohibited without first gaining permission from the author.