This lesson plan on "Fake News" and the media is an important one for any social studies or Civics class!
The download includes a complete lesson plan with a warm up, PowerPoint, cooperative learning activity, homework, and more!
The lesson starts off with 4 glaring examples of fake news that students analyze. Following this is a PowerPoint overview of the role of the media in society, identifying bias, and what really is fake news. A guided notes outline worksheet AND graphic organizer for this are both included.
Also included is Google Slides version AND a "flipped classroom" video of the presentation as well. The video is a fully-narrated overview of the whole lesson.
Next, students work in groups to analyze current event news articles or news websites for balance, loaded words, sensationalism, context, and bias. This can be done with included links to news websites or any current event articles.
Finally, students are instructed to watch two news channels with a critical eye for the topics discussed and analyze what they saw.
To summarize, you get all of the following with this one lesson download:
- Lesson Plan with extension ideas and links to recommended videos
- Four printable examples of fake news articles
- Engaging 11-slide PowerPoint and Google Slides presentation
- Fully-narrated flipped classroom video version of the presentation
- Guided notes worksheet & graphic organizer
- Cooperative learning worksheet table for analyzing news articles with Google Doc version
- Homework or extension worksheet on the news with Google Doc version
This highly topical lesson plan should help your students better analyze news and become critical thinkers!
The entire lesson plan can also be downloaded with many others as part of my Political Parties & Elections: American Government & Civics Unit Bundle
Thanks so much for looking!
You can "Like" my page on Facebook for updates, giveaways, links and more! Thanks!