Fall Language Arts activities: Ready for fall? This set of activities is not just for centers - almost every activity in this set can be used in a variety of ways – small group centers, independent practice and/or whole class review. Look for the boxes on the bottom of each activity introduction page for ideas on how to use these activities in your classroom.
All these activities have been used with great success in my second grade classroom, but will work equally well with support for first graders, or as review for third graders. I like to provide students with activities that not only review skills and concepts, but also ask them to demonstrate their learning at a higher level. Each of these activities not only provides the opportunity for practice, but also includes an activity to strengthen thinking.
- Fall Fix– It: 12 editing sentences for grammar, punctuation, capitalization and spelling; includes recording sheet an answer key
- Matching Main Idea and Details: 12 fall topic cards to practice identifying the main idea of a passage, sorting details and illustrating ideas
- Seasonal Sentence Sort: 12 sentences to sort by sentence type (questions, statements, exclamations and commands) and an activity to write original sentences
- Squirrel Chase: game board and 45 word cards to practice spelling long and short vowels words
WRITING: There are plan sheets and writing paper for 3 Common Core aligned fall writing pieces:
- Narrative: Fall activities – Students write about an activity they have done in the fall. Possible topics include apple picking, jumping in the leaves or carving a pumpkin.
- Opinion: What is the best part of fall? Students use the “OREO” plan (opinion, reason, examples and re-state opinion) to write about why they think fall is great.
- Expository: This plan sheet can be used to organize ideas for a variety of fall writing topics, such as how animals get ready for winter, information on fall animals such as chipmunks or squirrels, or a piece on why leaves change colors.
Although most of the pages are in color, they print beautifully in black and white as well. Be sure to check out the preview for a sample of what's included.
Looking for fall math activities? Check out my Math pack:
Fall Into Autumn~Math Activities
Need more fall activities? Fall Into Autumn~Language Arts and Math Activities
Thanks for stopping by! ~ Lisa, Second Grade Stories