Students have so much fun they don't even know they are learning! By searching for smaller words in bigger words, children have fun while exploring word families and spelling patterns.
Students will see how many words they can find in ALMOST HALLOWEEN. Encourage students to look for rhyming words (e.g., all, fall, tall) or words that begin the same.
You will have to decide on certain rules for the game. For instance, you may or may not want to allow plurals. I suggest allowing them, because it helps students to become aware of word endings. Here are some other possible rules:
• No names allowed (too many variations!)
• Set a time limit.
• Decide whether you want to allow almost and Halloween.
• If you want to score, you can possibly give a student a point for any word they have that no one else thought of. Or you could use the number of letters in the word for points.
I suggest you use this activity with the whole group. Print the worksheet double-sided.
Worksheet pages with columns for word length
Sample Answer Keys
Thanks for checking out my product!
If you are interested in my related activities, visit the custom categories at my Teachers Pay Teachers Store:
How to get TpT credit to use toward future purchases
1. Go to your My Purchases page.
2. Click on Provide Feedback for the item.
3. Give a rating and a comment—even a short one.
Each time you leave feedback, TpT gives you Feedback Credits that you can apply toward future purchases. It takes just a few seconds!
Be the first to learn about my new freebies, discounts, and products! To become a Follower, click on the green star next to my store logo, at Many Roads to Reading.