Created this PowerPoint and worksheet to supplement the ideas found in John Green's Crash Course World History on the Fall of Rome (available for free on YouTube).
I created this because I found that there we a lot of important ideas in John Green's video, however I found it very fast and I knew a lot of my students would have trouble following it without something to supplement the video.
Included in this package:
* 9 slide PowerPoint that goes through the 4 different theories explored in John Green's Crash Course World History on the Fall of Rome. Also included are slides comparing the western Roman empire to the eastern Roman empire (The Byzatine Empire).
* A fill in the blanks note sheet that follows the PowerPoint.
1. Barbarians at the Gates: Sacking of Rome by the Goths and deposition Romulus Augustus (Augustulus).
2. The Anti-Imperialistic Argument: includes student-friendly definition of imperialism.
3. Barbarians Inside the Gates: Loyalty?
4. The Roman Empire Survived Until the 15th Century: or at least the eastern half - the Byzantine Empire.
PowerPoint also gets students critically thinking, by asking them whether or not they agree that the Byzantine Empire was truly Roman. A comparison between to the eastern and western empires is provided. The PowerPoint ends off with a comparison between the the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox church (Pope vs. Patriarch, relationship with kings, monarchs, and emperors, and caesaropapism)