Family Ties: Word Family Fun
Welcome back to school! I am so excited to present this brand new packet of word work with a focus on cvc word families. It was designed for the primary learner who would benefit from another strategy for decoding words. It is a great tool for an emergent reader working well at building their confidence. Many of these interactive activities involve cutting and pasting which is a skill that most of our young learners need practice with.
What will I get in this packet?
1. Word Family Circles: Students cut and paste pictures into a circle but one is a non-example and is incorrect. Students have to be real thinkers. This can be made into a student book that allow students to do some tracing and can be colored in.
2. Word Family Connectors: These are simple crossword puzzles that students must solve. They must identify the vowel that 2 words have in common, both a part of one word family.
3. Word Family Scoops: Students have to sort word family scoops by cutting them out and gluing them on the right ice cream cone! What a yummy treat.
4. Word Family Puzzle Booklet: Students will love cutting out strips, gluing them into a box to make a picture and matching word. Each booklet contains a different word family. These can be colored in.
5. Word Family Crowns: Students have an opportunity to cut and paste pictures that belong in the same word family. These get glued on a special headband and students must come up with one more rhyming word that is written on the front. Students can proudly wear these home and practice them with their families!
These are the word families that have been included: -at, -ag, -an, -en, -et, -ig, -in, -ip, -it, -ob, -op, -ot, -ub, -ug, and -un.
What do you think?
I love that it integrates a variety of skills with cutting and pasting, a little writing and even some coloring. It is perfect for buddy work.
Check out the preview so you can take a quick look.
Have a wonderful year of learning!
Love, Kindergarten Crayons
Quick Tip: Need other word work? Woohoo! Check out my Literacy Gems Packet with a sprinkle of math. It is so much fun for kids who love using alphabet and number gems.