Famous paintings broken down into a 1 inch grid for purposes of blowing up into a collaborative group project. Image is 8x6" which works perfectly for blowing up to 24x18".
1. Provide students with 3x3" square.
2. Give students their 1" square of the painting. (Make sure that you number these beforehand for putting image back together. Make 2 copies of the image - one to cut up to give students, one to keep track of numbers for yourself.)
3. Remind students that they are blowing up their square 3 times as big, not coping directly.
4. Finish with group medium of choice.
5. Glue squares back together on 18x24 sheet of paper.
This makes 48 pieces - some of the are blank, but you may need a student to do more than one, depending on the size of your class.