Black History Month in Canada Resource!
is a Social Studies resource designed for the Canadian classroom. It introduces students to a famous Canadian through story and vocabulary specific to the person's legacy. This resource focuses on Viola Desmond, who is often referred to as the "Canadian Rosa Parks". Viola challenged segregation by taking a stand for equality rights. Also, an inspirational woman, Viola started her own business, product line, and school. She will be the first Canadian woman featured on money in 2018. Vocabulary: segregation, discrimination, equality, diversity, and inspire.
Here's a look at what's included in the Viola Desmond
• Timeline PowerPoint Presentation with vocabulary
• Tab book with reading passages and questions
• Cut and paste timeline
• Words to know: race, ethnicity, class
• Vocabulary posters
• Equality: I can include others sort
• Read and scan the room with vocabulary (QR codes activity)
• Trading card
• Facts and options sort worksheet and anchor chart
• If I met... journal
• Fact or fiction worksheet
• Inspiring Canada reflection sheet
• Compare and contrast Rosa Parks and Viola Desmond
• Assessment sheet
Looking for more Canadian Resources?
Maple Sugar Bush: A Science, Math, and Language Unit
Remembrance Day in Canada
Perfectly Imperfect in Second Grade