PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This Famous Canadian - Wax Museum Inquiry Project will help your students create a biography research report and presentation on a famous Canadian – in a far more engaging and memorable way than a traditional report. As a culminating task that incorporates Drama, Visual Arts, Literacy, and Social Studies, students will be excited to demonstrate their research and inquiry skills, creativity, and oral communication skills in this unique and ‘out-of-the-box’ project.
First, students will research their famous Canadian using the template provided – with a particular focus on how their Canadian has contributed meaningfully to our country. Next, students will transfer their research onto a ‘Google Site’ where they will add images, videos and non-fiction text features to highlight key information. The second portion of the project is an art display or backdrop that will feature key images to represent their Canadian. Finally, students will assemble a costume to help them ‘play the part’ of their Canadian.
When your students’ hard work is complete, they will have the opportunity to share their learning with the school community – including parents and peers, if you wish! Students will dress up as their famous Canadian, and share what they’ve learned in a short, interactive presentation. Students will remain still, like wax figures, throughout the presentation unless they are performing. Using the ‘buttons’ provided, guests of the Wax Museum simply need to press the famous Canadian of their choice to hear all about the interesting and meaningful contributions they’ve made to Canada.
Everything you need to provide an engaging, educational and authentic learning experience for your students is included in this package:
· Assessment Rubric
· Project Outline – including important timelines & parent feedback form
· Research Template
· Famous Canadian Speech Outline & Success Criteria
· ‘Press Here’ Button Printables
Here’s why you'll absolutely LOVE this resource:
· The project incorporates learning in a variety of subject areas, including Literacy, Drama & Social Studies.
· Students come away from the project having learned and developed a number of important learning skills from note-taking, to independent research, time-management, ‘chunking’ tasks, public speaking, and more!
· Everything you need to get started with your students is included in this package – including examples from my own classroom.
· Students take great ownership and responsibility in the task given its open-ended and authentic nature.
· It's a memorable event for parents and for the rest of the school who visit the ‘Museum’
· This continues to be a highlight of the year for my students and their families!