Looking for a fun and engaging Explorers
from the Age of Exploration
Let your students become the center of attention as they create and perform newscasts
on the famous explorers
of the Age of Exploration
This activity allows students to review basic facts about the key explorers of the Age of Exploration
and to create Newscasts that they report to the class.
8 Explorer Reading Cards
Student Research Guide
Student Activity Organizer
Vasco da Gama
Vasco Nunez de Balboa
In addition, students are asked to determine the importance of the explorers
and to place them on a range spectrum.
This can also be done as a student spectrum across the front of the class to provide a visual summation
of the activity.
You can assign in a variety of ways, but I have my students (in groups of 3) each research one of the explorers and create a "Newscast"
on their explorer, providing key facts in addition to other interesting information.
I also offer students bonus points if they create "commercials
" to present during their newscasts on relevant inventions of the time!
This handout also asks wrap-up questions
and requires students to place the explorers covered on a spectrum of importance.
Explorer fact cards
are also provided, which can be used to guide the students in this activity, or this can be used as a simple placard activity in which students gather information on the different explorers of the time.
See the complete resource in the PREVIEW!
This is also included in the Age of Exploration Complete Unit and in my full first Semester Package for World History.
Need additional resources for your Exploration Unit? This resource and all of the following resources are included in the Age of Exploration Complete 15 Day Unit:
• Age of Exploration Unit Plan with Bellringers, Daily Activities, and Exit Prompts (PREVIEW)
• Age of Exploration Introduction & Sunken Ship Activity
• Walking Tour of the Age of Exploration World Activity
• Explorers Internet Reliability Research Activity
• Age of Exploration Famous Explorers Newscasts Research Activity
• Columbian Exchange Trade Route Activity
• Christopher Columbus' Journal Primary Source Analysis Activity
• Age of Exploration Document Based Question (DBQ) Activity
• Age of Exploration Illustrated Timeline Activity
• Age of Exploration Study Guide and Unit Test w/ Answer Key
See my TpT Store for other great Social Studies activities!