This is a complete writer's workshop for you to use with your students. The accompanying PowerPoint includes introductions to the following topics:
- What is Fantasy?
- Choosing a topic
- Picking a conflict, including an overview of sample fantasy books
- Defining characters
- Planning a plot - Organizing and outlining the story
- Writing a rough draft
- Submission of the finished product
Also, I have included worksheets to go with each slide:
- Choosing a topic using a fun, group activity that involves flying "spacecrafts" into a "universe" (see the sample)
- Character descriptions
- Planning a plot using a mind map
- Outlining a plot that includes beginning, middle, and ending
- Describing a setting using a checklist of possibilities
This unit is totally student-driven and allows individuality within the framework of the assignment.
I have not included a grading rubric because any writing rubric you currently use is applicable.