This crossword puzzle contains figurative language from FAREWELL TO MANZANAR. Every clue is an example of simile, metaphor, hyperbole, or personification from the book. A key word in each clue is left out, so students must use their knowledge of the story and their imaginations as well as their critical thinking skills to fill in the blank. As they work, students note what type of figurative language each clue contains.
HERE'S AN EXAMPLE:
* Manzanar would always live in my nervous system, a __ with Mama's voice. ANSWER: needle.
A creative way to approach figurative language!
Here are more fun and unique products over FAREWELL TO MANZANAR—see all 16 in my store!
• Bookmarks Plus: FAREWELL TO MANZANAR edition—Handy Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! Companion product to the FTM 50-word Prereading Crossword and the FTM Synonym/Antonym Crossword—all three products cover the same challenging words!
• FAREWELL TO MANZANAR Trivia Game—Fun for the Whole Class! My ThemeQuotes games are the only games that link famous, value-promoting quotations to the themes of the books you teach! Students work in teams to play this cross between Wheel of Fortune™ and Trivia Pursuit™ game! 197 questions!
• FAREWELL TO MANZANAR: Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Companion product to the FTM 50-word Prereading Crossword and the FTM edition BOOKMARKS PLUS. All three cover the same challenging words!
• FAREWELL TO MANZANAR: 50-word Prereading Crossword—Companion product to the FTM edition of Bookmarks Plus! Helps prepare students for reading FTM Synonym/Antonym Prereading Crossword and the FTM edition of BOOKMARKS PLUS! All three cover the same challenging words!
• FAREWELL TO MANZANAR: 10 Word Merges: One “Word” Becomes Two! Two-word phrases from the book are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrases. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
• FAREWELL TO MANZANAR: 16 Theme-Related Quotations + Teaching Ideas—Well-researched, thought-provoking quotations by some of history’s greatest thinkers—each quotation relates to a theme in the book!
• FAREWELL TO MANZANAR: 4 Book-Based Word Searches—4 categories: States Mentioned in the Book; Life at Manzanar; Japanese Names; School in the Camp
• FAREWELL TO MANZANAR: 6 Cryptograms—Encoded Quotations from the Book! Students decode 6 thought-provoking quotations from the story! Each cryptogram puzzle has its own code. Who doesn’t love a code?
• FAREWELL TO MANZANAR: 10 Quotefall Word Puzzles—Unique! Each quotefall is a quotation from the story. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• FAREWELL TO MANZANAR: 5 Category Jumbles Puzzles—Fun! Students unscramble each word and then place the letters into a series of squares. They then arrange the letters in the shaded boxes to spell out the category word at the top of the puzzle. Students love uncovering the mystery word!
• FAREWELL TO MANZANAR: Figurative Language Crossword— Students use their knowledge of the story, their knowledge of language, and their imaginations to complete these clues. All are examples of similes, metaphors, hyperbole, or personification from the story! A great way to approach figurative language
• FAREWELL TO MANZANAR: 6 Cryptocategory Word Puzzles—Unique! Students decode 6 lists of categorized words from the book! Categories: Characters; Landmarks; An All-American Small Town; Mama; Some Countries Involved in WWII; Japanese American Internment Camps
• FAREWELL TO MANZANAR: Anagram Crossword—Challenging but Fun! Students decipher common terms from the novel! The puzzle can be challenging, but, as with all crosswords, almost every time they enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• FAREWELL TO MANZANAR: 2 Reading-for-Detail-Crosswords—Objective Test Review! Great reviews for objective tests!
• FAREWELL TO MANZANAR: Japanese Culture Crossword—Enlightening! Teaches students elements of the Japanese culture.
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!