NOTE: This puzzle is meant to be used after students have read the book.
Students solve this crossword by providing synonyms and antonyms for 25 vocabulary words from FAREWELL TO MANZANAR. Each clue contains a vocabulary word and the sentence it is used in from the book.
Examples of clues (note that some require antonyms):
* Japan was in the throes of that rapid, confusing METAMORPHOSIS from a feudal to an industrial nation... (syn.) ANSWER: change
* When the call came through camp for workers to ALLEVIATE the wartime labor shortage, it sounded better than life at Manzanar. (ant.) ANSWER: worsen
* I saw [the hatred] as a dark, AMORPHOUS cloud that would descend from above... (syn.) ANSWER: shapeless
* It seems comical...but at the time it was pure CHAOS. (ant.)
More challenging—and fun!—than a typical vocabulary crossword!
Note that the 25 words in this puzzle are also listed and defined on the FAREWELL TO MANZANAR edition of Bookmarks Plus.
Farewell to Manzanar edition of Bookmarks Plus—Handy Reading Aid!
Also, these 25 words are contained in my FAREWELL TO MANZANAR Prereading Crossword, which includes 50 challenging words students will run across in the book. See list below.
USE ALL THREE TO REINFORCE MEANING!
More unique products based on FAREWELL TO MANZANAR—see them all in my store!
• Farewell to Manzanar Trivia Game—Fun for the Whole Class! My ThemeQuotes games are the only games that link famous, value-promoting quotations to the themes of the books you teach! Students work in teams to play this cross between Wheel of Fortune™ and Trivia Pursuit™ game! 197 questions!
• Bookmarks Plus: Farewell to Manzanar edition—Handy Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more!
• Farewell to Manzanar: Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the Farewell to Manzanar 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• Farewell to Manzanar: 50-word Prereading Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the Farewell to Manzanar edition of Bookmarks Plus and the Farewell to Manzanar Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• Farewell to Manzanar: 10 Word Merges: One “Word” Becomes Two! Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrases. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
• Farewell to Manzanar: 16 Theme-Related Quotations + Teaching Ideas Well-researched, thought-provoking quotations by some of history’s greatest thinkers—each quotation relates to a theme in the book!
• Farewell to Manzanar: 4 Book-Based Word Searches 4 categories: States Mentioned in the Book; Life at Manzanar; Japanese Names; School in the Camp
• Farewell to Manzanar: 6 Cryptograms—Encoded Quotations from the Book! Students decode 6 thought-provoking quotations from the story! Each cryptogram puzzle has its own code. Who doesn’t love a code?
• Farewell to Manzanar: 10 Quotefall Word Puzzles—Unique! Each quotefall is a quotation from the story. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• Farewell to Manzanar: 5 Category Jumbles Puzzles—Really Fun! Students unscramble each word and then place the letters into a series of squares. They then arrange the letters in the shaded boxes to spell out the category word at the top of the puzzle. Students love uncovering the mystery word!
• Farewell to Manzanar: Figurative Language Crossword Students use their knowledge of the story, their knowledge of language, and their imaginations to complete these clues. All are examples of similes, metaphors, hyperbole, etc., from the story! A great way to approach figurative language
• Farewell to Manzanar: 6 Cryptocategory Word Puzzles—Unique! Students decode 6 lists of categorized words from the book! Categories: Characters; Landmarks; An All-American Small Town; Mama; Some Countries Involved in WWII; Japanese American Internment Camps
• Farewell to Manzanar: Anagram Crossword—Challenging but Fun! Students decipher common terms from the novel! The puzzle can be challenging, but, as with all crosswords, almost every time they enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• Farewell to Manzanar: 2 Challenging Words Crosswords Students provide synonyms for challenging words from the story. Good extra credit activity!
• Farewell to Manzanar: 2 Reading-for-Detail-Crosswords—Objective Test Review! Great reviews for objective tests!
• Farewell to Manzanar: Japanese Culture Crossword—Enlightening! Teaches students elements of the Japanese culture.
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!