Looking for a fun way to top off your FAREWELL TO MANZANAR unit? ThemeQuotes Trivia Games are just what you need!
What is a ThemeQuote?
A ThemeQuote is a thought-provoking, value-promoting quotation that relates to a theme of a work of literature. ThemeQuotes are authored by great minds such as Gandhi, Anne Frank, Mark Twain, Pearl Buck, Thoreau, Emerson, Amy Tan, Nietzsche, Thomas Jefferson, Eleanor Roosevelt, Kipling, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and more!
ThemeQuotes Trivia Games link famous quotations to the themes of the literature you teach!
Designed specifically for classroom use, ThemeQuotes Trivia Games combine the word-recognition skills of Wheel of Fortune™ with the challenge of Trivial Pursuit™.
Students might be asked to:
* answer questions about the author
* answer multiple choice, true/false, and open-ended questions based on the book
* answer questions that are related to the content of the book
* locate grammatical errors in dialogue
* translate idioms or dialectical phrases
* define, spell, or pronounce challenging words
* complete examples of figurative language
* unscramble anagrams or word merges
* and so much more!
Students have fun while being exposed to great thinkers!
ThemeQuotes Trivia Games:
* promote values
* encourage teamwork
* develop students’ understanding of theme
* challenge students’ reading-for-detail skills
* provide a great review for objective tests
* are just plain fun!
FYI: Some of the questions go beyond the book, but that's the fun of the game. Such questions, which are usually presented in multiple-choice format, require students to rely on their past experiences and their critical thinking skills to select the correct answer of the three choice provided. It's a fun way to learn something new! Check out the preview for examples!
The Farewell to Manzanar edition includes:
* rules of play
* 197 trivia questions
* 16 transparency-ready ThemeQuotes puzzles
* ThemeQuotes puzzles key
Many different editions at all levels--just search for your favorite title!
CHECK OUT THE PREVIEW FILE FOR SAMPLE QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS!
More fun and unique products over FAREWELL TO MANZANAR—see all 16 in my store!
• Farewell to Manzanar Trivia Game—Fun for the Whole Class! My ThemeQuotes games are the only games that link famous, value-promoting quotations to the themes of the books you teach! Students work in teams to play this cross between Wheel of Fortune™ and Trivia Pursuit™ game! 197 questions!
• Bookmarks Plus: Farewell to Manzanar edition—Handy Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more!
• Farewell to Manzanar: Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the Farewell to Manzanar 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• Farewell to Manzanar: 50-word Prereading Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the Farewell to Manzanar edition of Bookmarks Plus and the Farewell to Manzanar Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• Farewell to Manzanar: 10 Word Merges: One “Word” Becomes Two! Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrases. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
• Farewell to Manzanar: 16 Theme-Related Quotations + Teaching Ideas Well-researched, thought-provoking quotations by some of history’s greatest thinkers—each quotation relates to a theme in the book!
• Farewell to Manzanar: 4 Book-Based Word Searches 4 categories: States Mentioned in the Book; Life at Manzanar; Japanese Names; School in the Camp
• Farewell to Manzanar: 6 Cryptograms—Encoded Quotations from the Book! Students decode 6 thought-provoking quotations from the story! Each cryptogram puzzle has its own code. Who doesn’t love a code?
• Farewell to Manzanar: 10 Quotefall Word Puzzles—Unique! Each quotefall is a quotation from the story. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• Farewell to Manzanar: 5 Category Jumbles Puzzles—Really Fun! Students unscramble each word and then place the letters into a series of squares. They then arrange the letters in the shaded boxes to spell out the category word at the top of the puzzle. Students love uncovering the mystery word!
• Farewell to Manzanar: Figurative Language Crossword Students use their knowledge of the story, their knowledge of language, and their imaginations to complete these clues. All are examples of similes, metaphors, hyperbole, etc., from the story! A great way to approach figurative language
• Farewell to Manzanar: 6 Cryptocategory Word Puzzles—Unique! Students decode 6 lists of categorized words from the book! Categories: Characters; Landmarks; An All-American Small Town; Mama; Some Countries Involved in WWII; Japanese American Internment Camps
• Farewell to Manzanar: Anagram Crossword—Challenging but Fun! Students decipher common terms from the novel! The puzzle can be challenging, but, as with all crosswords, almost every time they enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• Farewell to Manzanar: 2 Challenging Words Crosswords Students provide synonyms for challenging words from the story. Good extra credit activity!
• Farewell to Manzanar: 2 Reading-for-Detail-Crosswords—Objective Test Review! Great reviews for objective tests!
• Farewell to Manzanar: Japanese Culture Crossword—Enlightening! Teaches students elements of the Japanese culture.
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!