This no-prep pack includes 12 open ended math tasks with a farm theme.
There is one task per worksheet, as well as a bonus challenge task (written down the bottom).
The worksheets cover the following areas of Mathematics: Number, Measurement, Geometry, Pattern, Probability and Statistics.
The worksheets included in this pack are:
1. ‘Tractor Wheels’ – Measuring height
2. ‘Farmer Sue’s Day’ – Time
3. ‘Pigpens’- Measuring length and width
4. ‘Dog’s Rug’ – Measuring area
5. ‘Farm Graph’ – Column Graphs
6. ‘What’s Possible?’ – Probability
7. ‘Cows and Calves’ – Doubling
8. ‘Horse Paddocks’ – Fractions
9. ‘Counting Eggs’ – Place value
10. ‘Goats and Sheep’ – Difference (subtraction)
11. ‘Farm Picture’ – Positional language
12. ‘Sheep Paddocks’ – 2D shapes
Each worksheet has an explanation for teachers in the ‘Possible Answers and Lesson Tips’ section. This section gives examples of the types of answers that students may give to the questions.
The ‘Possible Answers and Lesson Tips’ section also provides simple tips for how teachers can best support their students with each task.
There is a step-by-step guide for how you could teach an open ended mathematics lesson.
A workbook cover is included, in case you would like to staple the worksheets together to make a workbook.
Open ended mathematics tasks are great for many reasons:
• Open ended mathematics tasks are often problem solving tasks, which require students to apply their skills and understandings to a situation.
• Open ended tasks cater for different learning needs because there is a range of acceptable answers to the problems.
• Open ended tasks encourage flexible thinking about ways to problem solve and present answers.
• Open ended tasks encourage students to talk through how they will solve problems and to articulate their skills and understandings.
• Open ended tasks are great assessment tools because they give an insight into how students apply their learning to a problem, which demonstrates their understandings.
This pack can be used in many ways:
• Make a workbook using the cover on page 8 and use with the whole class over several lessons.
• Use this pack as individual worksheets with the whole class or in learning stations.
• Use this pack to revise content you have covered with your class.
• Use the worksheets as an assessment tool to gauge the students’ problem solving abilities on a topic.
• Give the workbook or individual worksheets to the gifted and talented students in your class as a way to extend and challenge them in mathematics.
• Give the worksheets to students as homework to complete with their families.
This pack has been created to be used in different regions. It contains both imperial and metric measurements (ie inches and centimeters). This product may also be referred to as: open ended math, open ended maths, open ended mathematics, farm math word problems, math problem solving, maths problem solving, mathematics problem solving, higher order thinking skills (HOTS) math, HOTS maths, HOTS mathematics, farm math, farm maths, farm mathematics, math worksheets, math centers, and math printables.
Thank you for your interest in my product!
Find me on Facebook and Pinterest for even more offers, activities
and inspiration www.facebook.com/learningsprouts