A elementary unit designed to look at how food gets from our nation's farms to our local grocery stores. Includes an introduction to important economic vocabulary and a booklet that explains the basic history of food production in our country.
L1: Assessing Prior Knowledge…
• What is a Farm?
• Needs vs. Wants
• Where do we get food?
• Why are farms important to us?
L2: Economic vocabulary.
• Producers and Consumers
• Goods and Services
• Needs and Wants
L3: How food was produced and consumed long ago?
• Early American Hunting and Gathering
• Family Farms, Small Community Farms
• How has technology affected how food is produced and consumed today?
• Single Operation Farms and Processing
L4: Farm to Table
• Write what you learned
• L5: Supply and Demand
• Supply vs. Demand
• How is price affected by Supply and Demand?
• Thinking about Price
L5: Field Trip Activities