Frogs are fascinating! (And don't forget about toads!) Students love learning about these unique animals. This unit provides Common Core-aligned reading and writing activities to use with your study of frogs and/or toads. Everything in this unit is printable and ready to go! There are range of activities in this unit which could be used in several grade levels.
Numerous standards are addressed in this unit, but these are the main ones:
RI.1.2 - Identify the main topic and retell key details of a text.
RI.1.7 - Use the illlustrations and details in a text to describe its key ideas.
W.1.2 - Write informative/explanatory texts in which they name a topic, supply some facts about the topic, and provide some sense of closure.
W.1.7 Participate in shared research and writing projects
L.1.1f - Use frequently occurring adjectives.
L.1.1c - Use singular and plural nouns with matching verbs in basic sentences.
• Frog KWL, Toad KWL
• Frogs: Are, Can, Have Chart
• Toads: Are, Can, Have Chart
• Frog Word Sort – Sort nouns, verbs, and adjectives
• Frogs and Toads Venn Diagram
• Frog Bubble Map – Use after reading nonfiction text to record facts
• Toad Bubble Map – Use after reading nonfiction text to record facts
• Paragraph Planner (2 versions: 3-detail, 4-detail)
• All About Frogs Report Cover, All About Frogs and Toads Report Cover
• Frog writing paper with space for picture – Write/illustrate facts about frogs
• Fascinating Frogs Writing Paper/Terrific Toads Writing Paper
• Frog and Toad Facts writing paper
• Life Cycle of a Frog – Cut, Paste, and Label each stage
• Life Cycle of a Frog – Write about 4 steps of the frog life cycle
• Nonfiction Notes – Write and illustrate 2 facts learned from nonfiction text about frogs or toads
• 2 Main Idea Graphic Organizers with a frog theme (blank)
• Main Idea/Details Activities – Two passages about frogs/toads, 2 differentiated activities for each passage.
-Read the passage, circle the main idea, and write 3 supporting details.
-Read the passage, write/illustrate the main idea, write/illustrate details
• Frog Adjectives – Write adjectives that describe frogs, then put the adjectives into sentences.
• Frog Verbs – Write verbs that describe what frogs can do, then put the verbs into sentences.
I hope your students enjoy this unit! I would love to hear your feedback! Thanks! :)