Feathers by Jacqueline Woodson is a Newberry Honor Book, and rightly so! It is the story of Frannie, a black girl in the early 1970s whose life is changed by meeting an outcast. In today's seemingly divisive climate, this book is a beautiful story of acceptance and understanding. I give it an A++.
This study includes
1. Guided reading questions for each chapter with vocabulary embedded.
2. Analysis of the poem "Hope" by Emily Dickinson with a writing prompt.
3. Literary analysis (with definitions of literary terms).
4. Analysis of the significance of text.
5. Research page.
6. Symbolism page.
7. Analyzing the archetype of the Christ figure.
8. Journal prompts intended for after-reading.
9. Writing a poem in the style of Elizabeth Dickinson's "Hope" with example.
10. Theme analysis with writing prompt.
11. Quizzes for chapter clusters.
12. Answer Keys
Feathers-Comprehension and More
by Dianne Watson
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License