This chart includes an in-depth comparison of features & support resources across 10 iOS symbol-based AAC apps:
- Avaz AAC - Lifetime Edition
- Clicker Communicator: AAC
- GoTalk Now / GoTalk Now Plus
- Grid for iPad VPP
- LAMP Words for Life
- Snap Core First
- Speak for Yourself
- TouchChat HD with WordPower
I’m an SLP with over 30 years experience in AAC. Come learn from my extensive use of each app. Instead of having to dig through websites and app settings you’ll benefit from me having done all that work, consulting with app developers to insure accuracy and then distilling all that info into one PDF. You can search to find exactly what you’re looking for and can copy wording from this chart into your AAC reports to save time.
I will be maintaining and updating this chart to help meet the need for current and comprehensive info to be used in feature matching.
Watch the TPT preview video where I'm viewing the PDF on my iPad in the free Xodo app. You’ll get a feel for how much info will be at your fingertips in this chart. There are over 94 rows in the Numbers spreadsheet that was used to create the PDF. But it’s super easy to use the “search” option to find what you want quickly.
- This is an unbiased view at the features across apps. I do not have a financial affiliation with any app developers.
- The information in this chart was compiled based on my extensive use of each app, in-depth trials of each app using the most current version on devices running the most current iOS, reading through app user guides, watching recent recorded webinars, consulting directly with app developers and providing them with the opportunity to review the content before this tool was published.
- Inclusion in the “Top 10” was based on features, long term availability in the App Store, good history of being updated, having patients who benefited from using the app, gathering data from app recommendations from SLPs who have expertise in AAC, etc.
- The purpose of this chart isn't to name a “best” app since the “best” AAC for that individual is the combination of options (variety of apps, SGDs, no-tech, etc.) that meets their needs at that moment in time.
- I would not expect any app to have every feature in this chart nor would every feature be applicable to every potential AAC user.
- This app comparison chart is intended to be a tool to help SLPs and others make informed decisions when choosing iOS symbol-based AAC apps for consideration during the process of an AAC eval, feature matching and trial of options.
- It is important to try out any app with the potential user before making a purchasing recommendation or decision. This is also important when using any extra hardware (keyguards, switches, switch interfaces, carrying straps, stands, mounts, etc...) to support AAC use.
- There are many reasons why one would consider a traditional SGD vs. an iPad or any other tablet with an app: durability, warranty, tech support, built-in switch ports for scanning, eye gaze access, etc… But there are many folks who may not have a funding source for a traditional SGD. And there are things about having AAC on an iPad or iPhone that make it a great option for particular users.
- This PDF is intended to interactive so you can zoom in to see content and tap on links. It contains lots of links and those may not work if trying to use it in Safari or another browser. It's best viewed in the Books app on an iPad or a PDF viewer. One good free option is PDF Reader & Annotator app by Xodo Technologies Inc. that can be used on any platform (https://www.xodo.com/). If viewing in Xodo on a laptop, it may work best in older viewer: https://www.xodo.com/app-old/#/pdf.
- You may not copy any part of this document (including the content, layout, format, ideas or design) and reproduce it or distribute it as your own work. Please do not copy/paste this info onto other blogs or save this PDF in any online groups or files.
- I assume no liability for app purchases and am not making patient-specific recommendations.
Have questions? The best way to reach me with any questions is via messaging on the OMazing Kids Facebook page: . That way AAC related messages don’t get lost among the spam in my e-mail.
Thanks for purchasing this product from my TPT store!
Angela Moorad, MS, CCC-SLP, Founder of OMazing Kids, LLC OMazing Kids AAC Consulting
Teachers Pay Teachers Store: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Omazing-Kids-Aac-Consulting