February Packet - 3rd Grade
Common Core Standards and Lexile Levels included!
This is the packet of reading comprehension questions modeled after the Common Core standards for 3rd grade.
All of the following passages are associated with either a variety of multiple choice reading comprehension questions, open-response questions, student inquiry, both short and long answer questions or a combination of strategies.
Use for; weekly assessments, pre-assessment, post-assessment, progress monitoring, homework, classwork, sub plans, or whatever else you need!
Questions involve; using context clues, inferencing, poetry elements, plot, characterization, analytical reading, comprehension, reading for meaning, vocabulary and so much more!
**There are 12 AWESOME passages in this packet!**
1- Biography – Laura Ingalls Wilder
- Key Elements: Close read, deciphering meaning, clarifying terms, context clues, synonyms, main idea
- PLUS – Creating a Timeline
2- Map – Wagon Trails Heading West
- Key Elements: Deciphering a map, analysis of map features, understanding directions, author’s purpose.
3- Fiction – An excerpt from Little House in the Big Woods
- Key Elements: Close read, deciphering meaning, characterization, setting.
4- Context Clues – Presidents of the United States (A fun context clues activity)
Includes three different context clue passages
5- Nonfiction – The Groundhog Legend
- Key Elements: Close read, deciphering meaning, main idea, understanding explicit text
6- Nonfiction – Hurricanes
- Key Elements: Close read, context clues, understanding explicit text,
7- Diagram Analysis- Hurricane Diagram
- Key Elements: Understanding a diagram, text features, analyzing a map., summarizing
8- Nonfiction – Love Locks Bridge
- Key Elements: Close read, understanding text, symbols, main idea, inferences
- PLUS – Design your own Love Lock
9 - Nonfiction – Sweet Hershey’s Chocolate
- Key Elements: Close read, context clues, understanding text, inference
10- Biography – Daniel Hale Williams
- Key Elements: Close read
11- Biography – Mae C. Jemison
- Key Elements: Main idea, close read, deciphering meanings
12- Poetry – Abraham Lincoln
- Key Elements: Close read of a poem, understanding poetic elements and devices, central message, characterizing,
Literature/References and Answer Key Included!
*I truly value your feedback*
You may also like:
3rd Grade January Packet
Questions or concerns: firstname.lastname@example.org
Have a great year!
Novel Nutritious Creations
© 2015 Novel Nutritious Creations. Permission is granted to buyer for single classroom use. No part of this work, including clip art, may be copied and/or reused in another product or format. This includes websites, personal or commercial. Permission is NOT granted for use on websites of any kind without express permission from Novel Nutritious Creations.