*Please note: This Resource is compatible with DISTANCE LEARNING platforms such as . Students can confidently WORK INDEPENDENTLY on these, or you can EDIT this unit of work to best suit your needs and share it with your CLASSROOM.
❓Here is a typical "Fermi" question: How long would it take to count to one million?
Obviously, there is no definitive answer; you can't google it, and that is the power and purpose of a Fermi problem...
FERMI PROBLEMS ARE NOT ABOUT THE ANSWER - BUT UNDERTAKING THE MATHEMATICAL JOURNEY TO THE ANSWER
FERMI PROBLEMS ARE ALL ABOUT MATHEMATICAL LOGIC, RESEARCH, LOGICAL ESTIMATION AND MATHEMATICAL CALCULATION. For all ages, and mathematical ability.
Students love them because they love to think, simulate, test, explore big concepts and ideas, and it's one of the few subjective math areas.
This unit is all-encompassing in taking students through Fermi Problems' background, approaching them, strategies for solving them, graphic organizers for recording the process, assessment tools, and MUCH MORE.
It then takes students to the next level to create their own Fermi problems for their classmates to critique and solve.
What you Get
- A Powerpoint packed with teacher notes, background information, examples and powerful strategies for solving Fermi Problems
- A Collection of engaging Fermi problems to keep students busy for weeks. Paper-based and digital.
- Tools to help analyze and solve Fermi problems using creative and critical thinking.
- A Fermi Lab Mini Project with handouts and graphic organizers guides students through creating their own Fermi problems.
- Assessment rubric and teacher assessment tools
- And Much more...
This is a proven resource you can do for a day or two or run with for a few weeks due. The sky is the limit here... Either way, you will have all the tools with NO PREPARATION REQUIRED.