Fetterman Massacre. Treaty of Fort Laramie. Crazy Horse. American Bison.
Lesson 3 of The American West Unit: **CAN BE ALTERED!** Fetterman Massacre & Treaty of Fort Laramie
This engaging and visually appealing 30-slide PowerPoint presentation is easy to understand with content illustrated with charts and pictures.
Overarching Question for this presentation (Thinking Focus Question):
- How did the near extinction of the buffalo affect Native American culture?
This PowerPoint presentation examines:
- Native American tribes living in the Great Plains during the 1800s
- Understanding the nomadic way of life for many Native American tribes
- How the creation of the railroad across the west changed the migration of the bison
- Reasons why the American Bison almost became extinct
- Native American’s loss of food source, freedom and spirituality with the near extinction of the bison
- Creation of the Indian Peace Commission & Federal Bureau of Indian Affairs and how it affected Native American tribes
- The creation of reservations and how this impacted Native American culture and way of life
- The events and causes surrounding the Dakota War of 1862 and the Fetterman Massacre
- The significance of the signing of the Treaty of Fort Laramie
Key words include:
Treaty of Fort Laramie
This PowerPoint presentation and graphic organizer is part of the unit: The American West. This unit can be downloaded in its entirety saving you substantially what it would cost you to buy each PowerPoint presentation and graphic organizer separately. Each lesson comes with a visually appealing PowerPoint presentation (and pdf version) and three graphic organizer notebook pages – separate answer key included!
Here are other lessons in this unit you may be interested in:
Lesson 1: Mining Boom & Transcontinental RR
Lesson 2: Great Plains & Homestead Act
Lesson 3: Fetterman Massacre Treaty of Fort Laramie
Lesson 4: Little Bighorn Dawes Act Wounded Knee
Lesson 5: National Grange Populist Party
UNIT: The American West 1858-1896
Be sure to follow my store by clicking on the GREEN STAR next to my ZoopDog picture to receive notifications of new products. Thanks for stopping by my store!
- This product may NOT be copied and distributed outside of the scope of your classroom.
- This product may NOT be uploaded to the Internet or stored in a public retrieval system outside of the scope of the project itself (ex. your district website, slideshare.com, wikispaces.com, slideguru.com, your own personal website, etc.
- You may store this on your teacher website only if it is password protected.
- The slides included in this resource may not be used to create something new, and or distributed in any way without written consent from the author.