Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This unit is part of my Project Based Learning series that I have named “History Detectives.” Students will play the role of “History Detectives” who solve mysteries involving historical artifacts. Each mystery begins with a Mission Impossible-style video to engage the students in meeting the objective. Then, the students examine resources and do reading, completing critical thinking questions in their History Detectives Journal. Finally, students have a culminating task to present their work, either in an artful display or through presentation.
This download includes:
- A lesson plan taking you through the unit following the 5E format and describing an optional UNLOCK THE BOX activity.
- A "History Detectives" Journal with a cover, a letter to set the stage, key terms, pre-reading questions, note-taking sheets, post-reading analysis prompts, and a rubric for evaluation.
- Printable "Causes of the American Revolution" crossword puzzle to be used as a clue for the UNLOCK THE BOX activity or on its own.
- Printable "Events of the American Revolution" word search (with mystery message) to be used as a clue for the UNLOCK THE BOX activity or on its own.
- A link to a Powtoon video introducing the History Detective Mission.
Suggested Materials for the “Unlock the Box” obstacle course (for 8 groups)
- 8 UV lights and 1 UV marker.
- 8 programmable locks with 4-digit numerical code
- 4 programmable locks with 3-digit numerical code
- 1 programmable lock with 5-letter code
- 13-21 cardboard pizza boxes (or other lockable box)
Alternatively, you can put the clues into envelopes and have students bring you the clues to receive the next envelope.
California Social Studies Standards addressed:
5.5 Students explain the causes of the American Revolution.
Common Core Language Arts Standards addressed:
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.5.1 - Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.5.3 - Explain the relationships or interactions between two or more individuals, events, ideas, or concepts in a historical, scientific, or technical text based on specific information in the text.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.5.7 - Draw on information from multiple print or digital sources, demonstrating the ability to locate an answer to a question quickly or to solve a problem efficiently.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.5.9 - Integrate information from several texts on the same topic in order to write or speak about the subject knowledgeably.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.5.10 - By the end of the year, read and comprehend informational texts, including history/social studies, science, and technical texts, at the high end of the grades 4-5 text complexity band independently and proficiently.
These files are for personal classroom use only. Please do not distribute. Thank you for directing those interested in this product to my TPT page!