This unit is part of my Project Based Learning series that I have named “History Detectives.” Students will play the role of “History Detectives” who solve mysteries involving historical artifacts. Each mystery begins with a Mission Impossible-style video to engage the students in meeting the objective. Then, the students examine artifacts and do reading, completing critical thinking questions in their History Detectives Journal. Finally, students have a culminating task to present their work, either in an artful display or through oral presentation.
This download includes:
- A lesson plan taking you through the unit following the 5E format.
- A "History Detectives" Journal with a cover, a letter to set the stage, key terms, pre-reading questions, note-taking sheets, post-reading analysis prompts, and a rubric for evaluation.
- Printable map pieces (sections of each of the 5 U.S. Regions) to use in the lesson.
- A link to my Powtoon video introducing the History Detective Mission.
California Social Studies Standards addressed:
5.9 Students know the location of the current 50 states and the names of their capitals
Common Core Language Arts Standards addressed:
- Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
- Explain the relationships or interactions between two or more individuals, events, ideas, or concepts in a historical, scientific, or technical text based on specific information in the text.
- Draw on information from multiple print or digital sources, demonstrating the ability to locate an answer to a question quickly or to solve a problem efficiently.
- Integrate information from several texts on the same topic in order to write or speak about the subject knowledgeably.
- By the end of the year, read and comprehend informational texts, including history/social studies, science, and technical texts, at the high end of the grades 4-5 text complexity band independently and proficiently.
These files are for personal classroom use only. Please do not distribute. Thank you for directing those interested in this product to my TPT page!