The holidays are an exciting time for children in the classroom and the home. The rich history and fun celebrations of holidays make students excited both for parties and learning. The Writing Prompts for Holidays series is a collection of imaginative situations and questions related to 20 major holidays, including Christmas, Thanksgiving, Halloween, and more. Fifth Grade Writing Prompts for Holidays is a workbook that will help fifth grade students to start developing their creative writing skills.
Examples from the book:
4. New York City hosted the first celebration of Labor Day in 1882. Why do you think the Big Apple is the starting place for so many parades and festivals? Do you think a movement or holiday could start in your city? Why or why not?
77. The Polar Bear Club is a group of brave, crazy individuals who jump
into the freezing cold water on New Year's Day, often to raise money for charity. Describe what it might be like to dive into such ice-cold water. How would you feel and would you ever do it again?
116. Early feminist activists like Mother Jones and Elizabeth Gurley Flynn were often arrested or mocked for their desire to improve women's rights. Why do you think it has become more accepted nowadays for women to speak out against unfair treatment?
155. A Wisconsin senator named Gaylord Perry was inspired by a 1969
oil spill to create what would become the first Earth Day in 1970. Imagine if an oil spill occurred in your town. How would the wildlife be affected? What would you do about it? Why?
Table of Contents:
1. Labor Day
2. Columbus Day
4. Veterans Day
8. New Year's Eve
9. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
10. Valentine's Day
11. Washington's Birthday (Presidents Day)
12. International Women's Day
13. St. Patrick's Day
16. Earth Day
17. Mother's Day
18. Memorial Day
19. Father's Day
20. Independence Day
Bryan Cohen, the author of 1,000 Creative Writing Prompts and 500 Writing Prompts for Kids, has compiled 200 of his best holiday prompts for fifth graders in this workbook. Use them for journals, assignments, poems, conversations, songs, and more!